Anyone want this?

• Thread starter First Name Last Name
  • Start date
F

First Name Last Name

Recently I did a project which required linux to ge 9030 plc ethernet communication. I now have a working library - does anybody want or need this? Also, a while ago I wrote a IP/UDP/TCP stack for our VME/ISA/PC104 carrier board. It runs on DOS or even no OS at all. It's all assembly (except for a bit of the TCP layer) so it has a very small memory footprint. There are a few software modules for it - TFTP module, Allen Bradley 5x0E ethernet communication module, terminal server module (ethernet access to the serial ports on the CPU), etc. Perhaps it could be of use as ethernet remote I/O for linuxplc using a very low end PC104 CPU - we use 386EX-20 with 512k RAM. Oh, the stack uses a packet driver to get to the ethernet card. Any standard packet driver should we. We have a modified one for NE2000 that keeps interrupts enabled allowing high baud rate serial port communication during ethernet traffic. Any uses for this stuff? Fran _______________________________________________ LinuxPLC mailing list [email protected] http://linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc

C

Curt Wuollet

Absolutely! It should probably go in the contributed section. Can you GPL it? Regards cww First Name Last Name wrote: > > Recently I did a project which required linux to ge 9030 plc ethernet communication. I now have a working library - does anybody want or need this? Yes > > Also, a while ago I wrote a IP/UDP/TCP stack for our VME/ISA/PC104 carrier board. It runs on DOS or even no OS at all. It's all assembly (except for a bit of the TCP layer) so it has a very small memory footprint. There are a few software modules for it - TFTP module, Allen Bradley 5x0E ethernet communication module, terminal server module (ethernet access to the serial ports on the CPU), etc. > > Perhaps it could be of use as ethernet remote I/O for linuxplc using a very low end PC104 CPU - we use 386EX-20 with 512k RAM. > > Oh, the stack uses a packet driver to get to the ethernet card. Any standard packet driver should we. We have a modified one for NE2000 that keeps interrupts enabled allowing high baud rate serial port communication during ethernet traffic. > > Any uses for this stuff? > > Fran Regards cww _______________________________________________ LinuxPLC mailing list [email protected] http://linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc

F

Fran Sabolich

> Absolutely! > > It should probably go in the contributed section. > Can you GPL it? > The 9030 ethernet library? Well, yes. Right now my code which uses the library is not GPL. I have an agreement with my customer that gives them all source code in the project for internal use. So if I made the library GPL I would technically be in violation. I could fork it and give the GPLed version or it could be made LGPL. Any thoughts on this? > > Recently I did a project which required linux to ge 9030 plc ethernet communication. I now have a working library - does anybody want or need this? > > Yes > > OK, so clearly there is interest for this. > > Also, a while ago I wrote a IP/UDP/TCP stack for our VME/ISA/PC104 carrier board. It runs on DOS or even no OS at all. It's all assembly (except for a bit of the TCP layer) so it has a very small memory footprint. There are a few software modules for it - TFTP module, Allen Bradley 5x0E ethernet communication module, terminal server module (ethernet access to the serial ports on the CPU), etc. > > > > Perhaps it could be of use as ethernet remote I/O for linuxplc using a very low end PC104 CPU - we use 386EX-20 with 512k RAM. > > > > Oh, the stack uses a packet driver to get to the ethernet card. Any standard packet driver should we. We have a modified one for NE2000 that keeps interrupts enabled allowing high baud rate serial port communication during ethernet traffic. > > Reading your answer I'm not sure if you're interested in this too or just the 9030 library. The IP/UDP/TCP stack plus utils is built with Borland C 3.1 so I'm not sure what problems that causes. Maybee eCos would be better suited to your needs. But if you feel this could be useful I'll happily give it. Fran

C

Curt Wuollet

First Name Last Name wrote: > > > Absolutely! > > > > It should probably go in the contributed section. > > Can you GPL it? > > > The 9030 ethernet library? Well, yes. Right now my code which uses the library is not GPL. I have an agreement with my customer that gives them all source code in the project for internal use. So if I made the library GPL I would technically be in violation. I could fork it and give the GPLed version or it could be made LGPL. Any thoughts on this? It's your code and your customer, you'll want to do what you think is right. I ask because we don't have good answers for how we will treat non-GPL code. Right now, we are keeping it separated. > > >> Recently I did a project which required linux to ge 9030 plc > >> ethernet communication. I now have a working library - does > >> anybody want or need this? > > > Yes > > OK, so clearly there is interest for this. Sorry for the terse reply, I am in crisis management mode lately and behind in my mail. I at least am interested, I have a plant full of GE stuff I need to integrate with or replace with Linux. Ethernet comms are especially important for the project as that is the "natural" media for Linux. > > >> Also, a while ago I wrote a IP/UDP/TCP stack for our > >> VME/ISA/PC104 carrier board. It runs on DOS or even no OS at all. > >> It's all assembly (except for a bit of the TCP layer) so it has a > >> very small memory footprint. There are a few software modules for > >> it - TFTP module, Allen Bradley 5x0E ethernet communication module, > >> terminal server module (ethernet access to the serial ports on the > >> CPU), etc. > >> > >> Perhaps it could be of use as ethernet remote I/O for linuxplc > >> using a very low end PC104 CPU - we use 386EX-20 with 512k RAM. > > >> Oh, the stack uses a packet driver to get to the ethernet card. > >> Any standard packet driver should we. We have a modified one for > >> NE2000 that keeps interrupts enabled allowing high baud rate > >> serial port communication during ethernet traffic. > > Reading your answer I'm not sure if you're interested in this too or > just the 9030 library. The IP/UDP/TCP stack plus utils is built with > Borland C 3.1 so I'm not sure what problems that causes. Maybee eCos > would be better suited to your needs. But if you feel this could be > useful I'll happily give it. My interest in the embedded stuff is both personal and for the project. I want Ethernet IO that is well suited to LPLC and while I think it would be great to have Linux on both ends, I am open to almost any means of achieving this in an Open Source fashion. I have developed optoisolator and driver stages and am interested in engines, stacks and muxing. I am not too proud to use your stuff if it furthers the cause. Low level stuff might not port easily but at the very least could serve as an example. We don't have many admitted assembler hackers but, I am willing to dust off my ancient notes. Regards cww > > Fran > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > --== Sent via Deja.com ==-- > http://www.deja.com/ > > _______________________________________________ > LinuxPLC mailing list > [email protected] > http://linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc _______________________________________________ LinuxPLC mailing list [email protected] http://linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc

M

Michael R. Batchelor

Whether you'd be violating anything depends on your agreement with the customer. If you own the copyright, and you have not already assigned exclusive distribution rights to the customer, or you have already signed an non-exclusive distribution agreement with them, then you can license one customer to use your code in one way and another customer - i.e., the rest of us - to use it in another way. We would have restrictions upon our use as dictated by the GPL or LGPL, but your customer who has a different agreement would have restrictions as defined in their license from you. (Now, remember that this is from a control systems guy, not a lawyer!) _______________________________________________ LinuxPLC mailing list [email protected] http://linuxplc.org/mailman/listinfo/linuxplc