arc furnace transformer Pressure Relief Device Operated

M

Manjunath

One of the arc furnace transformer (120MVA rating) PRD actuated suddenly after running for 15 mins.

I am new to this plant & more from automation side but i am also looking after electrical and really very limited knowledge about Hv system. wanted to know how to do TTR test or other test like tandelta or megger....KIndly help me...I will be very thankful to you.

My email is man_jusa [at] yahoo.com

Manjunath... are your questions about TTR, tan-delta, additional info, etc, being asked as part of an investigation to determine if:

a) The PRD operated falsely?

b) The EAF Xfmr did fail?

Regards, Phil

Dear Maju...

For TTR and TAN delta we need special instruments whereas megger values can be checked with normal megger.
For PRD even i would like to know the cause of tripping of PRD in case everything is found ok.
We had same type of problem and after doing all the tests ,everything was found normal.

Dear paru,

Cause of the PRD actuation not known to us. All tests like TTR, Oil analysis done and everything showing normal.

Don't know what could have triggered the release of PRD .

Regards,

Manjunath... Did PRD operate shortly after arc-current was increased?

1) If so, can you provide listing of current-magnitudes at 1-minute intervals for the 15 minutes of operation?

2) And, then for 15-second intervals for the 1-minute period before the EAF tripped?

Regards, Phil Corso (cepsicon [at] aol [dot] com)