ARCnet card for my PC?

W

Walt Graham

Hello!

I am in search of an ARCNET card. They are very elusive. I use an ARCnet card in my PC to communicate with a General Electric turbine drive system.
Question: Are they generic or indevidually proprietary? By the way, what
advantage is ARCnet over Ethernet?

G

Greg Goodman

You may find it worth visiting the ARCNET Trade Association site, "http://www.arcnet.com/":http://www.arcnet.com/

Among other things, their "About ARCNET" page lists "reliable packet delivery" and "deterministic performance" as features that make ARCNET ideal for embedded and realtime applications.

Their "Publications" page includes a form for requesting the ARCNET standards and tutorial,a nd their online resource guide includes a list of manufacturers.

Regards,

Greg Goodman
Chiron Consulting

B
Try an eBay search. About a year ago I looked just out of curiosity, and found the ones that were listed weren't moving, even through priced dirt cheap (around $5.00).

If you don't find any e-mail me off-list. I might still have a couple diverted from the trash heap buried in the basement.

ARCnet is slow (by today's standards) at 2.5 Mbs, but is deterministic, and did a good job.

C

Craig Corzine

As you have probally already learned, GE uses cards with proprietary chips are not accessible via the general public from the vendors.

They have been using the following cards which are compatible with the MKV system:

PcARC-AT/20 from NETWORK INTERFACE CORPORATION, CNT CN190SBT from CNET TECHNOLOGY INC., and NECCPCA198-CXB from CONTEMPORARY CONTROL SYSTEM.

GE uses their own proprietary communications protocol over Arcnet for the MKV Stage Link communications. Without extensive knowledge of
this protocol, you will probably find it very difficult to use any "standard off-the-self" Arcnet cards.

If you are looking for a communication solution to be used as a straight HMI interface, there are other options for you to consider and I
would be happy to discuss them with you.

If you are looking for a communications card you can use with your <I> which will allow for logic forcing, ladder rung display and editing,
and similar functions, your best solution is to contact GE.

Regards,

Craig Corzine
[email protected]

The main advantage of using Arcnet is excelent diagnostic and good noise immunity
Very simple protocol much more simple than IP
Hoever You can get expensive industiar controler for Ethernet use just Ether
protocol and build in own diagnostic,
The Arcnet chip has 24 legs and cost 11$ the ethernet chip has more legs and cost more
any thing is Green color of money
The software for Arcnet for motorola chip wilbe like 50 lines of code and software for IP stack will be like 50000 lines of code
so there is your greens

I am looking fo ran ARCnet card (NECCPCA 198-CXB)for my MK V system. GE has refused to supply the same and its original manufacturer has also turned down the request, is there any place in the world where i can buy this ARCnet card.