AS-Interface

P

Peter Fedde

Hello List,

I'm new here. I searched the archives for information on this but found nothing , so hopefully I am not re-inventing the wheel.

I was recently shown the AS-Interface "bus" system by a local sales rep. It was quite a convincing demonstration. While I would not quite call it a true bus system, I do think It could replace a lot of cable.

Has anyone here had experience with this bus system? It seems quite simple and yet I haven't seen it around or in any literature.

Thanks,

Peter Fedde

D

David Lawton Mars

Peter, I've use AS-i bus in the past (approx. 128 node system) and found it extremely good. It saved a lot of time on the installation and commissioning of the project.

For info, try http://www.as-interface.com

For the project I did we used AS-i nodes from ifm electronics and linked them to Modicon Quantum PLC's via a 3rd party gateway. That was about 3 years ago and the only negative comment I'd make was that the comms between the PLC and gateway was quite "slow". Having said that, I would think this has been improved significantly now.

J
Our experiences with this system have been very positive. We are and OEM and have been using ASi for approx. 6 months.

Material costs are slightly higher as compared to conventional wiring, labor savings are quite dramatic, time savings are also significant. Much less wiring troubleshooting, simpler installation,
easier expansion are some of the best features.

Be careful in choosing a vendor for ASi materials. Make certain the vendor will support you when starting out, and make certain the
Vendor's stocks are ample.

Acceptance of the ASi system is growing, slowly, in the U.S.

Once warning: We have learned recently that when designing your emergency stop circuits, you MUST cut both the yellow (signal / power) and black (power only) cables, not just the black, as we
had been led to believe. Apparently, current on the yellow cable CAN energize the outputs even if the black is interrupted during an e-stop.

jfv

John F. Vales
Director of Technology
Wes-Tech Automation Systems, Inc.
[email protected]

M
We have just purchased and installed several high speed presses which use the ASI Bus system. So far we have had no problems and it seems to be quite easy to set up. For more info try -http://www3.ad.siemens.de/ca01cache/en_9300000_b_tab0_ns4.htm

Regards
Mike Lynch
Canpac International Ltd

M

Michael Griffin

Have a close look at how you will interface to all of the devices in a typical application, especially pneumatic valves. Check out what parts you will need, and how the cabling will actually connect.
For example, Festo's ASI interface for their '03' valve (their standard manifold mount valve) is not really very practical to use. You end up with multiple valve banks with only 2 or 4 valves per bank.
Their interface to the 'CP' valve looks much better, but that valve style itself isn't meant for something that ever has to be serviced (you have to take everything apart to get at one valve).

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]

M

Michael Griffin

Does this not depend upon the type of output used? I believe the older style of output modules didn't have a separate power source for the outputs - everything travelled over the yellow. In fact, there was originally only one colour of ASI cable - yellow.
I believe though on the newer ones the yellow can energise the output device (e.g. turn on the relay coil), but does not the actual power
for the outputs come over the black?
There is also another colour for AC (I forget what this one is - possibly red). I would find it very surprising if the ASI power and the AC power were connected in some way.
I would be very interested in hearing more about this problem. Could you please give us some more details?

Michael Griffin
London, Ont. Canada
[email protected]

R

Rob Hulsebos

>I'm new here. I searched the archives for information on this but
>found nothing , so hopefully I am not re-inventing the wheel.
>
>I was recently shown the AS-Interface "bus" system by a local sales
>rep. It was quite a convincing demonstration. While I would not
>quite call it a true bus system, I do think It could replace a lot of cable.

There have been figures published some time ago about cost-comparisons.

Don't know where, can look them up if you're interested.

>Has anyone here had experience with this bus system?

My first experience with AS-i was quite good: install, power-up, work. I have also seen a trainee automate a small factory with it. I did expect a few phone-calls asking for support to help solve problems. He did call once: the application was up-and-running.

>It seems quite simple

It is.

>and yet I haven't seen it around or in any literature.

Apparently things that are simple and just work don't need much literature.... There is a book about AS-Interface; last year a 2nd version was published. Unfortunately it doesn't mention the new V2.1 version, but otherwise the book is quite readable (although aimed at AS-i equipment suppliers, not at users).

Greetings,
Rob Hulsebos

R

Rob Hulsebos Philips CFT

>There is also another colour for AC (I forget what this one is -
>possibly red). I would find it very surprising if the ASI power and the AC
>power were connected in some way.

That would be the red ASi cable. I have only seen this once - in a Bosch catalogue. I have never seen red cable being used anywhere, nor equipment that supported it. It was originally intended for ASi slaves that had 220V outputs. These are now connected differently. The reason is likely that a same type of cable as the networkcable, only with a different colour, has a too large chance of being wired wrong and thus causing blown-up equipment or users.

Rob

P
AS stated correctly ASi is not a bus system in the real term but more of "Smart Cabling" concept. But whatever one calls it , the bottom line is by using ASi you have a holt of advantages like 1. Reduced Cabling 2. Higher Machine uptime because of improved diagnostics 3. Simplified documentation ( No terminals & loop checkings) 4. compact design Now ASi also features safety monitors that sit on the "yellow Cable" . So you dont have to cut anything and this safety concept is certified by TUV. You can find lots of materials on the ASi website http:\\AS-Interface.com So just click & enjoy. Paul

G
There are 3 ASi cable colors.....
Yellow - input power and comms
Black - External 24VDC
red - 230VAC

The problem with just cutting the black cable is independant of how the outputs are powered. It is purely a matter of the distance between the yellow and black cable in the module. If you just cut the external power, the yellow cable is
still "close" enough to possible power the outputs. The only solution for this will be to use the "Safety at Work" concept once it is approved for use in North America.