Auma actuator, valve didn't run in remote mode, what is the problem?

The valve is running in local mode, but in remote mode it didn't run. Attached the wiring related. I measured 24 v between terminal (4 and 7) for close feedback. But the valve didn't close or open.

Need help please.

Attachments

kehili,

When did this problem start? After some kind of work was done on the valve and/or actuator (the AUMA device)?

I don't really see any signal to tell the AUMA actuator and valve it's in AUTO (local??) or REMOTE. Everything above the dashed line at the "top" of the drawing appears to be external to the AUMA actuator/valve assembly. There is 3-phase power, some 24 VDC, the OPEN, CLOSE and STOP signals to the AUMA actuator (at terminals 4, 5, 6, & 7), some kind of external "safety" interlock (which may or may not be used on your application), and everything else (terminals 14-23) is an output, either analog (4-20 mA) or discrete (open/closed contacts). So, it would seem there is some kind of external switch (above the dashed line) which is used to differentiate between a local OPEN/CLOSE switch or a remote OPEN/CLOSE signal, such as from a DCS (Distributed Control System) or a BOP (Balance of Plant) controller, or something like that (maybe). Because if the valve moves when the external AUTO/REMOTE switch is in AUTO, then it should also move when it's in REMOTE (presuming what ever is providing the contact closures to the inputs is also working, and the wiring is all correct).

It's possible that the external switch isn't working correctly (to select between AUTO and REMOTE) or the equipment that is to be sending the remote OPEN/CLOSE signals isn't working correctly, or the wiring between the external switch and either the remote system OR the external switch and the valve mechanism is bad.

But, usually when things like this happen (something which was working suddenly stops working) there is a reason.... Such as the valve and/or actuator was removed for some kind of maintenance or repair, and was not re-installed/replaced properly.

Thanks for providing the AUMA drawing, but what we really need is the "external" control wiring drawing--the circuitry above the dashed line at the top of the AUMA drawing. THEN, we might be able to be of more help. But, if you can identify what was done around the time the problem started, you might be able to help yourself solve the problem.

BUT, since you wrote here asking for help, please write back to let us know what you find and how you resolve the problem. If you need further assistance, please answer the questions below and provide the external control wiring drawing.

1) When did the problem start?
2) Is there an external switch to select AUTO (local) or REMOTE, and OPEN CLOSE buttons for the AUTO (local) mode?
3) Is the REMOTE control(ler) working properly (is it in the proper mode of operation to send signals to the AUMA actuator, and is the external AUTO/REMOTE switch working correctly?
4) Have you verified all the wiring per the external control drawing to be correct and properly terminated (no loose connections; wires at the proper terminals; etc.)?

(It is important to note that I am presuming--because you didn't tell us--that AUTO means "local" and REMOTE means from a remote control system. If you write back for more assistance and AUTO means something different, please let us know; or if REMOTE means something different, please let us know.)

Best of luck--and we are expecting to hear back from you on how you fare in resolving the problem, or providing the requested information if you require more help.

Thank you for your reply.

In fact, Local means to run the valve manually (using valve buttons), the selector is in Local position. And Remote means giving command from PLC (Open or Close), the selector is in Remote position.
Please find attached the loop diagram for your reference.
The valve didn't open or close when giving command from PLC, be known that 24V is measured in the terminal (4,7) and (5,7) for close and open command.
Also, I tried to run in remote mode from the valve with making jumper between (1 and 4) and (2 and 7) because the valve can provide 24v, but the same problem.
Be informed that it's new installation, it didn't run before.
I think there is a configuration that I have to do in the valve but I don't know which.

Need help please.

Attachments

Thank you for your reply.

Hello

Here some notes from OE manual,...

I strongly suggest you to get it and read it carrefully as everything needed for operation & maintenance of the device is well described &explained...

In fact, Local means to run the valve manually (using valve buttons), the selector is in Local position. And Remote means giving command from PLC (Open or Close), the selector is in Remote position.
Please find attached the loop diagram for your reference.
The valve didn't open or close when giving command from PLC, be known that 24V is measured in the terminal (4,7) and (5,7) for close and open command.
Also, I tried to run in remote mode from the valve with making jumper between (1 and 4) and (2 and 7) because the valve can provide 24v, but the same problem.
Be informed that it's new installation, it didn't run before.
I think there is a configuration that I have to do in the valve but I don't know which.

Need help please.
Operation mode Remote
Selector switch is in position Remote control (REMOTE).
Characteristics The indication in the top row of the display shows the set source of the operation
commands:
● Remote (parallel interface)
● Remote II (parallel interface, push button station)
Depending on the control, a distinction is made between:
● OPEN - CLOSE control (operation mode Remote OPEN - CLOSE):
Control is made via binary operation commands OPEN, STOP, CLOSE.
(or for activated Multiport Valve function via operation commands CW, CCW)
● Setpoint control (operation mode Remote SETPOINT):
Control via analogue operation commands, e.g. 4 – 20 mA.
Information ● Binary signals (e. g. +24 V DC) via digital inputs are only recognised as valid
operation commands if the signal is present for at least 10 ms.
● If a positioner or process controller is available, change-over between OPEN -
CLOSE control (operation mode Remote OPEN - CLOSE) and setpoint control
(operation mode Remote SETPOINT) is possible. Refer to chapter <Changeover
between OPEN - CLOSE control and setpoint control>.
6.3.1. Push-to-run operation or self-retaining Remote
Parameters Self-retaining Remote M0100, Self-retaining M01193 and Self-retaining
Remote II M0101 determine the actuator operation behaviour to binary operation
commands (OPEN, STOP, CLOSE or CW, CCW), which control the actuator “from
Remote” via I/O interface.
Customer settings M0041
I/O interface M0015
Self-retaining Remote M0100
Self-retaining M01193
Self-retaining Remote II M0101
Default values:
Customer settings M0041
I/O interface M0015
Self-retaining M01193
Default values:
Actuator controls
AC 01.2/ACExC 01.2 Operation
Self-retaining = Off (push-to-run op.)
Self-retaining Remote II = OPEN and CLOSE
Setting values for parameters, Self-retaining Remote M0100 and Self-retaining
Remote II M0101:
Off (push-to-run op.) Push-to-run operation activated, self-retaining off:
Actuator only runs in directions OPEN or CLOSE while an operation command is
being received. The actuator stops if the operation command is cancelled.
OPEN In direction OPEN = self-retaining (in direction CLOSE push-to-run operation):
After an operation command in direction OPEN, the actuator continues to run, even
if the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator is either stopped
by the STOP command or if end position OPEN or an intermediate position OPEN
has been reached.
CLOSE In direction CLOSE = self-retaining (in direction OPEN push-to-run operation):
After an operation command in direction CLOSE, the actuator continues to run, even
if the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator is either stopped
by the STOP command or if end position CLOSED or an intermediate position
CLOSED has been reached.
OPEN and CLOSE In directions OPEN and CLOSE = self-retaining:
After an operation command, the actuator continues to run in directions OPEN or
CLOSE, even if the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator
is either stopped by the STOP command or if an end position or intermediate position
has been reached.
Direct reversal of operation is not possible. Operation commands in directions OPEN
or CLOSE must be stopped first by the STOP command.. Only then is an operation
command into the opposite direction allowed.
OPEN & CL w/o STOP In directions OPEN and CLOSE = self-retaining without stop:
Direct reversal of the operation direction without STOP command is possible.
Direct reversal of operation is also possible without the STOP command. However,
operation can be stopped at any time by the STOP command.
Setting values for parameter Self-retaining M01193 (for Multiport Valve function):
Off Push-to-run operation activated, self-retaining off:
The actuator will only be operated clockwise or counterclockwise as long as an
operation command (CW or CCW) is present. The actuator stops if the operation
command is cancelled.
CCW Counterclockwise (CCW) = self-retaining (clockwise = push-to-run operation):
After an operation command in CCW direction, the actuator continues to run, even
by the STOP command or if the specified MPV position has been reached.
CW Clockwise (CW) = self-retaining (counterclockwise = push-to-run operation):
After an operation command in CW direction, the actuator continues to run, even if
the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator is either stopped
CW and CCW In both directions = self-retaining:
After an operation command (in CW or CCW direction), the actuator continues to
run, even if the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator is
either stopped by the STOP command or if an MPV position has been reached.
Direct reversal of operation is not possible. Operation commands in CW or CCW
directions must be stopped first by the STOP command.. Only then is an operation
CW & CCW w/o STOP In both directions = self-retaining without stop:
Actuator controls
Operation AC 01.2/ACExC 01.2
Direct reversal of operation is also possible without the STOP command. However,

There is also how to configure the device ....

Do not hesitate to share your feedback!

James

kehili,

My suggestion would be to disconnect the "remote" wiring from the AUMA actuator and use a wire jumper (it doesn't have to be very long, with a small bit of insulation stripped off one end and the normal amount of insulation stripped off the other end to fit under the terminal board screws). Put the end with the longer bare wire under Terminal 7 and tighten it--being careful NOT to earth or short the other end of the wire to any other terminal in the junction box. Then touch the end of the wire with the small bare tip to Terminal 5--that should make the valve start OPENing. (I'm presuming it's closed.) Then lift the wire from Terminal 7 and touch it to Terminal 4, to make the valve STOP moving (if it hasn't already STOPped). Then touch the wire to Terminal 6 to make the valve begin to CLOSE. And, possibly just continue holding the wire on Terminal 6 to let the valve move to the fully CLOSEd position.

If this works--then there's a problem with the wiring between the PLC and the AUMA actuator. I already see that someone has made a field modification to the wiring, and I don't understand why it was made (and I'm not going to try to understand it). The purpose of this suggestion is to verify that the valve moves when the signals to the valve are correct--that's it. If the valve moves as expected with the jumper, remove the jumper and start working out what the intent of the PLC is, why someone believes it is NOT necessary to use the STOP command from the PLC to the AUMA actuator, and why the wiring isn't working correctly.

[I suspect that someone is trying to DOUT4 as a way of STOPping the valve when opening at some particular point, that is, not fully open.?.?.? If that's the case, has the DOUT4 switch been adjusted properly for that position? AUMA actuators are pretty slick and well-engineered devices--but they have to be configured (set up) correctly--and we don't know how it is to be configured or if it has been configured correctly. AGAIN, that's the purpose of using a jumper to simulate contact closures to make the valve move as if the PLC was controlling it. If it moves correctly, then that suggests the wiring between the PLC and the AUMA actuator is NOT correct, and it may also suggest that the DOUT4 contact is not adjusted properly if my suspicion is correct.]

Having said all of that, ControlsGuy25 is going to take over this thread (he has taken it over, actually) from this point. Please direct any correspondence to ControlsGuy25 as he has all the answers. (RTFM (Reading The Fine Manual) is a really good place to start for any problem like this. I apologize for confusing AUTO and local, but I think we got more information that was useful.)

The USUAL suspect for problems like this during start-up/commissioning is improper wiring. If you use the jumper as suggested and the valve opens and closes as if it was under the control of the remote PLC, then you have proven the problem is, indeed, the wiring. If you're not comfortable using the jumper to test the valve/actuator operation, then you need to find another job because this is a large part of start-up/commissioning and even plant maintenance and troubleshooting--using jumpers to prove or test operation. It's only 24 VDC and as long as you're careful and don't earth the wire to metal or allow it to touch other terminals in the junction box and don't grab the wire with one hand while gripping a hand-rail or pipe with the other you will be fine.

Best of luck! ControlsGuy25 is taking over from here. Please do write back to let us know how you fare in resolving this problem.

kehili,

My suggestion would be to disconnect the "remote" wiring from the AUMA actuator and use a wire jumper (it doesn't have to be very long, with a small bit of insulation stripped off one end and the normal amount of insulation stripped off the other end to fit under the terminal board screws). Put the end with the longer bare wire under Terminal 7 and tighten it--being careful NOT to earth or short the other end of the wire to any other terminal in the junction box. Then touch the end of the wire with the small bare tip to Terminal 5--that should make the valve start OPENing. (I'm presuming it's closed.) Then lift the wire from Terminal 7 and touch it to Terminal 4, to make the valve STOP moving (if it hasn't already STOPped). Then touch the wire to Terminal 6 to make the valve begin to CLOSE. And, possibly just continue holding the wire on Terminal 6 to let the valve move to the fully CLOSEd position.

If this works--then there's a problem with the wiring between the PLC and the AUMA actuator. I already see that someone has made a field modification to the wiring, and I don't understand why it was made (and I'm not going to try to understand it). The purpose of this suggestion is to verify that the valve moves when the signals to the valve are correct--that's it. If the valve moves as expected with the jumper, remove the jumper and start working out what the intent of the PLC is, why someone believes it is NOT necessary to use the STOP command from the PLC to the AUMA actuator, and why the wiring isn't working correctly.

[I suspect that someone is trying to DOUT4 as a way of STOPping the valve when opening at some particular point, that is, not fully open.?.?.? If that's the case, has the DOUT4 switch been adjusted properly for that position? AUMA actuators are pretty slick and well-engineered devices--but they have to be configured (set up) correctly--and we don't know how it is to be configured or if it has been configured correctly. AGAIN, that's the purpose of using a jumper to simulate contact closures to make the valve move as if the PLC was controlling it. If it moves correctly, then that suggests the wiring between the PLC and the AUMA actuator is NOT correct, and it may also suggest that the DOUT4 contact is not adjusted properly if my suspicion is correct.]

Having said all of that, ControlsGuy25 is going to take over this thread (he has taken it over, actually) from this point. Please direct any correspondence to ControlsGuy25 as he has all the answers. (RTFM (Reading The Fine Manual) is a really good place to start for any problem like this. I apologize for confusing AUTO and local, but I think we got more information that was useful.)

The USUAL suspect for problems like this during start-up/commissioning is improper wiring. If you use the jumper as suggested and the valve opens and closes as if it was under the control of the remote PLC, then you have proven the problem is, indeed, the wiring. If you're not comfortable using the jumper to test the valve/actuator operation, then you need to find another job because this is a large part of start-up/commissioning and even plant maintenance and troubleshooting--using jumpers to prove or test operation. It's only 24 VDC and as long as you're careful and don't earth the wire to metal or allow it to touch other terminals in the junction box and don't grab the wire with one hand while gripping a hand-rail or pipe with the other you will be fine.

Best of luck! ControlsGuy25 is taking over from here. Please do write back to let us know how you fare in resolving this problem.
My Guess is if correct configuration has been done on site, as we are not prent there to check correct troubleshooting..

After have read the OEM manual, It appears that Remote selection ( switch ) & Remote operation mode are different things ...
I dont see that on the presented wiring diagram/drawing..
Are you sure about your configuration ( wiring , command signals. feedback signals..)

I am pretty sure that the device itself is not correctly commissionned /configured ..

Again I suggest you to have a carrefully read on the OEM manual..

Thanks CSA for your comments, but it would be great if we can sort it out all togegther , any help would be appreciated..

Looking to hear back from you soon,
ControlsGuy25.

Operation mode Remote
Characteristics The indication in the top row of the display shows the set source of the operation
commands:
Information ● Binary signals (e. g. +24 V DC) via digital inputs are only recognised as valid
● If a positioner or process controller is available, change-over between OPEN -
Parameters Self-retaining Remote M0100, Self-retaining M01193 and Self-retaining
Customer settings M0041
I/O interface M0015
Self-retaining M01193
Default values:
Customer settings M0041
I/O interface M0015
Self-retaining M01193
Default values:
Actuator controls
Remote II M0101:
OPEN In direction OPEN = self-retaining (in direction CLOSE push-to-run operation):
After an operation command in direction OPEN, the actuator continues to run, even
has been reached.
CLOSE In direction CLOSE = self-retaining (in direction OPEN push-to-run operation):
After an operation command in direction CLOSE, the actuator continues to run, even
CLOSED has been reached.
CLOSE, even if the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator
is either stopped by the STOP command or if an end position or intermediate position
has been reached.
Direct reversal of operation is not possible. Operation commands in directions OPEN
Setting values for parameter Self-retaining M01193 (for Multiport Valve function):
command is cancelled.
CCW Counterclockwise (CCW) = self-retaining (clockwise = push-to-run operation):
After an operation command in CCW direction, the actuator continues to run, even
After an operation command in CW direction, the actuator continues to run, even if
the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator is either stopped
run, even if the operation command is cancelled (self-retaining). The actuator is
directions must be stopped first by the STOP command.. Only then is an operation
Actuator controls

James

We had the same issue here at our plant. Following troubleshooting we did to rectify the problem.
1. When the actuator technician came, he told that the limit settings and zero/span settings have changed. We removed the actuator and did the zero/span settings as well as Open/Close Limit settings. We did not touch the torque settings.
2. In yokogawa DCS, there is this setting called as ML which is set at 0.1% which is equivalent to 4mA. In AUMA actuator, we have seen that if the current goes below 4mA, we have to reset the actuator and then start again. So we adjusted our limit settings accordingly.
Let me know guys if i am wrong

Operation mode Remote
commands:
Customer settings M0041
I/O interface M0015
Self-retaining M01193
Default values:
Customer settings M0041
I/O interface M0015
Self-retaining M01193
Default values:
Actuator controls
Remote II M0101:
has been reached.
CLOSED has been reached.
has been reached.
command is cancelled.
Actuator controls

James
Hi ControlsGuy25,
we have the same problem here in our site.
we have Fieldbus Auma Acecx 01.2.
local is ok but when in remote we cannot control it.in the faceplate it only shows in Local and did not change in Remote even we set it in Remote switch in the field.
what could be the problem sir?
TIA,
R

Hi Jijon,

Do you know if there is kind of interlocking which doesn't allow the Actuator to be putted in remote mode?

I will look on the OEM manual and see if i can support

James

Hey I have a Auma Actuator with the same issue and want to know if there is any special prgramming on the valve that needs to be done for remote control? OEM model I think is AC 01.2 and serial number is 4120UA60281. Looking for a wiring diagram. I have my common pin as 7 and my other two Open and close pins as 5 and 4 respectively. My control voltage on the actuator shows 24 VDC. I am currently supplying voltage from my control panel but am not sure if this is correct based upon the valve. Can you confirm this configuration?

Hey I have a Auma Actuator with the same issue and want to know if there is any special prgramming on the valve that needs to be done for remote control? OEM model I think is AC 01.2 and serial number is 4120UA60281. Looking for a wiring diagram. I have my common pin as 7 and my other two Open and close pins as 5 and 4 respectively. My control voltage on the actuator shows 24 VDC. I am currently supplying voltage from my control panel but am not sure if this is correct based upon the valve. Can you confirm this configuration?
You need to check OEM drawing and manual..
I guess that there is some settings to adjust for remote operation..
Will have a read on manuals and come back here with notes

So I checked the drawings and manual and as far as I can tell it is wired correct. I am providing "MODE" and "CLOSE CMD" to the respective pins. One thing that I notice that is odd is when I check for 24VDC on pins 1 & 2 I have no power. These are power pins that if you were to wire 2 to 7 common and 1 and 3 power and then provide 24VDC to your close or open pin 4 or 5 with 7 as the return it should actuate. I checked fuses 3 and 4 and they had continuity. Not sure what else it could be. When opening up other valves with 115 AC control power they show 115 VAC on pins 1 to 2 so I am not sure if it is a programming setting to say provide power to pin 1.