Automation of Water Treatment Plant

P

pankaj

Hello frenz,
I've to automate an Water treatment plant having 2 BD filters, 2 softners,2 cation exchange resin bed, 2 anion exchange resin bed ,one degasser and one Mixed bed. Softwater is needed for some cooling purpose. The plant's main work is to produce demineralised water for polymerisation purpose and also to provide filter water for drinking. Two raw water storage tanks ,1 filter water storage tank, 1 soft water storage tank are also there.

CAn anybody suggest me how to implement PLCs to automate this plant. I'll be pleased to provide any additional information regarding it.

C

controlsguy3

Your first job is to produce or procure accurate P&ID (process and instrumentation diagrams) to define I/O requirements. Next, you will need a process flow description to define what the automation must do. Somewhere in there a budget will need to be developed to determine what the possible solutions can be.

Hello Mr Pankaj, I am Pragnesh from BARODA. It is possible to use small PLC system from either Siemens or AB or Messang systems. If you are end user then PLC will be the best option.

If you are equipment mfg. then contact me. My company develops microcontroller based solutions.

Thanks
Pragnesh
[email protected]
[email protected]

Water treatment plant having 2 BD filters, 2 softners, 2 cation exchange resin bed, 2 anion exchange resin bed ,one degasser and one Mixed bed.

I can help you more. If interested please email me at [email protected].

best regards
Sekar

B

Bob Peterson

This is a run-of-the-mill type water system. My guess is you can control it with just about any medium range PLC (an AB SLC5/03-4-5 would work fine).

The biggest issues are getting information on:

- what has to be controlled
- how it all works
- how it all works together

I have done hundreds of these type of water systems and can tell you from experience that gathering information up front is far more important then trying to get snippets of code off this list. For instance, the basic sequence of a mixed bed (your most complex item) can be done in no more then 10 rungs of code. There will be some glue logic, scaling, valve control, interlocks, alarms and some other code for various things but the basic sequence itself can be done in no more then 10 rungs if you really wanted to, and were willing to use AB indirect addressing for setting step/mode bits.

Bob Peterson