B&R HMI PC

J

Jim

I have a faulty B&R pc type 5C2000.03 which won't boot although powers up with HD whirring. There is no output from its 15 pin vga monitor socket so BIOS not kicking in. After power up I get long beep followed by three short beeps and HD continues to do something. When it was connected to its HMI screen it wouldn't boot either.

Has anyone out knowledge of these small pc's.
Email replies to [email protected].

M

Michael Griffin

I would suspect the problem is either a bad motherboard, or a bad power supply. Check the power supply output voltages (or plug a spare power supply in). If the power supply is OK, then it's probably the motherboard.

Before you do any testing though, try unplugging all the possible peripherals (hard drive, CD-ROM, printers, network connections, etc.) to try to isolate the fault. It won't boot without the hard drive of course, but according to your description, you aren't getting far enough for that to matter.

C

Curt Wuollet

Good luck, we have several machines that
use various B&R pcs. Information seems to
be very hard to come by. I've been replacing
the old ones with generics. They are also
unbelievably expensive.

Regards
cww

C

Curt Wuollet

Not much. If you can do it well, the generic solution is a far better deal in every aspect. The proprietary PC may have some advantage for the machine vendor. but from the user's perspective it's a ripoff from day one and gets worse as it gets older. I had one vendor that wanted $20,000 for a replacement console. No Joke. The press now sports a $500.00 IBM Think Centre and some special keystrips at a savings of at least $15,000 being generous for my time.

Regards
cww

I have a similar problem, bad console, but unable to find a replacement... but how do I get the software out of the internal memory in the original console (R&B 5C2000.02) to install it in a generic console?

>Not much. If you can do it well, the generic solution is a
>far better deal in every aspect. The proprietary PC may have
>some advantage for the machine vendor. but from the user's
>perspective it's a ripoff from day one and gets worse as it
>gets older. I had one vendor that wanted $20,000 for a
>replacement console. No Joke. The press now sports a $500.00
>IBM Think Centre and some special keystrips at a savings of
>at least $15,000 being generous for my time.