Bacnet Driver or code for Linux OS.

A

Andrew Chiang

Hi All:

Is there a bacnet driver or code available for redhat linux ? I want to retrieve data using a Linux server from a Bacnet device. Please help..
thanks.

Andrew ST Chiang

C

Curt Wuollet

I believe I heard something about this. Perhaps a google search for BACNET and Linux or check with the Linux Lab Project.

Regards

cww

G

Gumshoe_2701

I have been working in the HVAC industry for a while now and I have not yet seen a BACnet stack implementation for Linux. There is a company in Germany I think that sells a BACnet development kit that includes a BACnet stack (is expensive and has restrictive licensing though).

What HVAC equiptment are you trying to interface to? Because I know of and have developed a number of Linux drivers for HVAC equiptment.

K
Hi Andrew,

I had made some comments on the AList about BACnet and Linux, but don't know of any particular implementations, and haven't progressed toward one myself. There is a BACnet mailing list which is inhabited by many of the
leading proponents and developers, but the bias is definitely toward the Microsoft Windows OSes. This is evident in the fact that most of the
online documentation is only available in (various?) MS Word formats, Excel spreadsheets, etc.

The BACnet spec is open, available for a nominal fee (100 USD or so), with most addenda freely available via the Net.

Recently a body of C code was made freely available, aimed at testing and validation of BACnet implementations, and I think would be of great value for a developer, if only because it codifies a lot of the defining BACnet structures in machine-readable text. But that can only be viewed as a raw resource, not a finished product, in terms of what you're looking for.

Good luck in your search.

Ken

--
Ken Irving <[email protected]>

I have been wondering about this for over a year. Instead of sitting on the fence, I started writing my own implementation of the BACnet protocol stack for Linux.

I have access to the ASHRAE standard that we all are griping about the price of ($119 for non ASHRAE members)

To tell the truth, the standard is an awful document, but it's all in there if you're patient enough.

I'm at the point where I've implemented:
Who-Is
I-Am
Read-Property
Write-Property
Subscribe-COV
Unconfirmed-COV-Notification
Time-Synch

All written in C.

I'd love to finish this into a complete, open source implementation (GPL), but I'm but one person with limited off work hours.

Contact me at [email protected] if you're interested in helping or just curious.

Greg

P

Peter Whalley

Great to hear of your efforts Greg,

I've been following the LinuxPLC work for some time but it is not likely to be of any value to the Building Automation industry until it has a BACnet driver.

I'm not a C programmer but I do have some experiance with Linux (Slackware) and I have a spare PC and a few BACnet controllers sitting in my office so if you need help with testing let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Peter Whalley

Hi All,

I've finally got a Beta version of my Bacnet driver up and running on Linux Redhat 5. I've checked it out with some ******* Bacnet controllers and it works ok. It's Level 6 complient. I am looking for some serious alpha testers at the moment who have access to Bacnet equipment. If you want a demo version, then just respond to this message and I'll get back to you.

Tim

> ... There is a company in Germany I think that sells a BACnet development kit that includes a BACnet stack ...

Which company is this?

> ...I know of and have developed a number of Linux drivers for HVAC equiptment.

Have you done any interfaces with Andover Controls equipment using the Andover-specific protocol?