Bailey DCS Infi90

T

Tim

Just wondering who we see about Bailey DCS (infi90) training and support these days?

I'm looking at a project and will have to undertake some programming changes.

Does any vendor engineering groups like ABB, Rockwell or Seimens have any migrations paths, teams, documentation?

R

Romulo Rodriguez

I would suggest contacting your local ABB office for an upgrade plan. Some other vendors have migration alternatives but that would mean replacing the whole system, including the software application/configuration.

Yes, other vendors such Emerson Process Management offer migration paths to the Bailey Infi90 DCS. They have a variety of solutions from HMI replacement to controller and I/O migration along with conversion utilities.

Also they have individuals in their engineering group that can assist with modifications to the Infi90 system if needed.

If you have to "undertake some programming changes" then I'm going to guess that you're not currently looking to replace your whole DCS?

Yes, ABB still offer support for the Infi90 range. Support is good but they may not be the cheapest, especially if all you want is a few loops added to your existing system.

Emerson has a solution for migrating your Bailey system to Delta V in Stages eg replacing HMI, Controllers, I/O Modules in different stages. But major automation suppliers will probably be just as expensive and have much less experience as an ABB engineer.

For small projects you should be looking for system integrators in your area who have Bailey experience. There are lots out there. You could try ..... www.automation.com/suppliers/systems-integrators-service-providers-consultants (remove any spaces in the link)

Rob

www[.]lymac.co.nz

Depending of what level of hardware (MFP, HBC, etc.) or software (WinTools, Composer) there are many non-oem alternatives to training/support/configuration changes.

In addition there are 3rd party software packages (depending on the software you are using)to replace the Bailey configuration software and HMIs.

You will find that many companies (or individuals) are available who can provide what you are looking for. The problem is trying to find them.

Our company has maintained multiple Bailey sites (troubleshooting, training, logic modifications). We have also integrated 3rd party software to enhance the overall functionality of the Bailey System. Feel free to contact us at [email protected].

H

H. V. Vasavada

This is becoming common question for almost all INFI 90 DCS owners, especially after the old QNX platform is disappearing and Windows platform has become more handy for normally available operators to operate the plant.

ABB has MMI packages dedicated to operate the system but again a proprietary nature of the package is still retained and to upgrade within the Windows platform is also quite expensive solution enjoying monopoly. More over the development is so slow, that when Windows NT was about to vanish, they came out with Composer and Conductor packages in most countries. When XP came, it was difficult to upgrade without a sizable cost and efforts.

Therefore, As consultant, I always advise our client to go for OPC based driver for the system and to use the MMI package like Intellusion or Wonderware which can be easily configured with the OPC driver. Here, operation, maintenance and even up gradation will be quite easy.

In case the sender needs any further help may contact me on my email
[email protected]

H.V.VASAVADA

D

David Bambrick

>Therefore, As consultant, I always advise our client to go for OPC based driver for the system and to use the MMI package like Intellusion or Wonderware which can be easily configured with the OPC driver.<

Any suggestions for and OPC driver?

N
We currently use Matrikon OPC driver and it has been very stable for us compared to Standard Automation. I/O seems to be much faster for population.

C

Chris Jennings

Are you comparing apples with apples? Is the data being presented using OPC cached? Or are the values grabbed as required? You need to make sure that you have configured the OPC data collection correctly (asynchronous) so that you are utilising the benefits of exception reporting.

Chris Jennings

K

Kobus janse van rensburg

I have 13 years experience on Bailey INFI90 Systems PCV, WCAD, Composer and Conductor, let me know if I can assist you.

V
I have worked with NET/INFI 90 at Bailey for 18 years and now run my own company supplying complete migration solutions - Our seamless solution provides bumpless transfer and uses a varity of open HMI solutions for migration. We have all the tools to port INFI config to the new controls and HMI. You can contact myself at 905-928-1489

Bailey is taken over by ABB. Please, contact your nearest ABB vendor.
Now a days, it's improvished version is called as Symphony Harmony.

I have recently moved out from ABB.

Friends,

There is no support from ABB these days but there are companies that still provide support for these Infy 90 systems with continuous upgrades for the WIN XP platforms.

There is one software RCAD ,unique engineering tool is RCAD from CAR Systems Ltd. This superb engineering tool gives users the ability to 'Reverse Engineer' .CFG files directly into CAD sheets. It also comes with a CAD file editor that has several unique features for replacement product for talking with and programming the modules contained within the Infi-90 PCU Cabinets.

it provides a complete solution for clients interested in programming and verifying their function block documentation. Users can compile, cross reference, and verify their documentation as well as communicate with the modules for preventative maintenance purposes and engineering new programming logic.

RCAD 4.0 Client provides an easy to use interface for clients to program and document their existing Infi-90 Documentation. Full online capabilities including Monitoring / Smart Tuning of Block Specs / Uploading and Downloading Configuration Files.

RCAD 4.0 Server
RCAD 4.0 Server allows users to share a single CIU over a TCP/IP network for use by multiple clients simultaneously.

Infi-90 Simulator
Our latest product will permit users to simulate an ENTIRE INFI-90 DCS! Users can install this product to interact with PC-View®, Conductor®, Operate IT® or ANY operator console for training purposes.

Amrit Consulting services has been retained as partner for sales and consulting solutions for replacing Infy 90 modues support in India.
You can contact at [email protected] for more.

K

Kevin Ferguson

I would not suggest using ABB, strictly based upon cost effectiveness. However, I would suggest using an integrator that is WELL versed in infi90, and not one that has been "around" the system for 10-20 yrs. Look for resume and references on migrations performed. Also, look for similiar industrial experience in an integrator. Prism Systems, in Mobile, AL has performed upgrades for Power Plants, Chemical, and Pharma, from Crisp, Ovation, Honeywell, and Infi90 to 800xa.

As far as I know, there is one instructor left in Wickliffe, Ohio that still teaches Infi90. However, this instructor has never worked in the field, always in his classroom. He is not a process engineer by trade, and does not teach industry specific application concerns.

ABB has just about cast this very powerful control system aside...which is unfortunate.

Today Infi90 modules are produced in India and reports are that there is only a 40% yield rate on the product. ABB Wickliffe is also examining the possibility of Technical Support located in Mexico. This could possible lead to the support of PPA and 800xa coming out of Mexico, if that is of a concern to you.

A
I have been following the comments on this subject with great interest. I worked for Bailey in the eighties and nineties, introducing it to new Zealand in 1981. When it appeared it was light years ahead of any other system. Its simplicity to configure using a vast range of powerful function codes allowed us to develop advanced process control strategies with ease.

As an I & C engineer involved in the power, pulp and paper and water treatment industry I was able to develop control strategies that previously would not have been possible. The engineers at Bailey with either or both pneumatic and electronic experience were able to migrate to the new technology within a couple of weeks. The product line rapidly became the most popular DCS on the market. ABB's attempt to bury it have largely been unsuccesful due to a huge user backlash.

Delta V has come close to its functionality probably because Bud Keyes was the team leader for both products. As for the rest - every year, we go backwards!

Allan Evans

Allen,

Bud Keyes first worked for Taylor Instrument Company back in the 70s and later became President of Bailey. It was Bud who took Bailey screaming and kicking first into Net90 and later Infi90. I worked in Technical Support on Infi90 for many years until ABB told me goodby in 2004.

As engineers were layed off in successive years, and Bud had left the company to go to Emerson (Delta V), he picked up the chief architect/engineer of the computer interface unit between the HMSs and the Process Control Units. The rest is history when Delta V developed as a drop in place HMI unit directly onto the Infi90 highway, thus obsoleting all old aging Bailey HMIs. Then ABB came alone and the product went into a death spiral.

Last year, ABB Wickliffe layed off the Infi90 Product Line Marketing Manager, citing that the Infi90 was no longer a main focus of the company and his services were no longer needed, after over 30 years of service, I might add.

Several years ago, US manufacturing of all control modules was moved to India...not good.

In this past year along, the Bailey Remote Project facility in Atlanta GA, was shut down suddenly and everyone laid off.

Then the company in PA. that supported SYSTEM 6, shut down, phones turned off, and people gone.

This should be telling you something.