Bailey INFI 90; Replacing MFP02/BRC100 with BRC400

R

RN

Good day,

I am aware that MFP02/BRC100 can be directly replaced by BRC400, but can anybody please provide me clarification on following queries?

1. Will software upgrade just require compiling the MFP02 program for BRC400 and then downloading in new controller or is there any other requirement? (Programming software: Composer V 5.0)

2. Currently DCS cabinets are being powered by AC modular system (even older than MPSII). Can BRC400's directly work under the present power system of DCS or is it also required to upgrade the power system to MPSIII? And can MPSIII directly fit housing of AC Modular power system?

3. Are there any other known issues for this kind of upgrade procedure or is there any special set of precautions that need to taken?

And finally,

4. If BRC400 is not suited for current power system of DCS, can BRC300 fit the bill?

Thank you in advance.

BRC400 will work with the modular PAS power supply system.

MPSIII will not fit in the space the modular PAS system fits in. You need to drop the MMUs in the cabinet for MPSIII to fit.

You could also use BRC300 if you wish.

Composer 5.0 - you really want Service Pack 3 anyway, but 5.0 is fine for BRC 300 and BRC400.

When you recompile to download to your new BRC you will need to change the module type in Composer. If you are running serial links from these MFPs you may find that the Segment Priority needs to be changed as BRC is sensitive to this.

Something to be aware of:

BRC300 with a firmware greater than g.0 does not support Module Bus, so if you have a Module Bus system as opposed to Controlway, a BRC300 or BRC400 is no use.

you should also not replace a BRC100 or MFP02 with a BRC300 or 400 if you are using:

Batch90
CLIF
Basic
UDF
Simulation support

Martin,

Thank you for the reply.

I was very concerned about the power supply issue. Its a sigh of relief that BRC400 can work with my existing setup. I suppose one of my MFP's is running a serial link.

On the other hand, at least 4 of the installed controllers are running Batch90 programs. So their upgrade automatically gets ruled out. And I ll have to check to UDF and Simulation Support.

One more thing. How can it be determined that whether Controlway is being employed or Module Bus without going to site? I have the control architectures and DCS application.

Thank you once again.

Short answer is, it can't, however if you are using NIS/NPM it could be Controlway. You would need to check the switch settings on the NPM - Sw3 pole 3 and also J5. Same applies to the MFPs in the PCU affected.

If you have LIM/BIM or LIS/SBM it definitely is Module Bus. As you are using PAS I doubt you have these though.

You can still obtain replacement MFP02s on an exchange/repair basis, although you cannot buy them new, from ABB.