Bar Code Reader in the Allen-Bradley SLC 500 5/05

E

Evandro

I need to comunicate with 02 Barcode reader in the
5/05 CPU. I know this is possible in the Serial Port comunicate via ASCII but only one Reader.
I need a low coast solution to this.

P

Phillip Wade

If you only have one reader you can use your serial port. It will read in each character. The biggest problem with RS232 serial is it is not networkable. Each serial devce requires a dedicated serial port. You may be able to use an external buffer/multiplexer and connect several to the multiplexer and use the single output from the multiplexer to the serial port on the PLC. Check with Blackbox for a multiplexer.

A

Automation Linse

Low-cost... Relays.

Assuming your bar-code scanners are all local, POWERED BY THE EXACT SAME SUPPLY & GROUND, and can be polled for data, then you can just use a few double-pole relays. I'd put a 100ohm resister into each RS-232 ground wire & tie them all togather. Then just use PLC logic to select the scanner you want.

J

Jason Reiling

Comtrol has released a product called DeviceMaster UP (Universal Protocol) which offers connectivity of barcode scanners, vision systems, HMI's (Serial devices - RS-232/422/485), to an Industrial Ethernet network.

The DeviceMaster UP product line offers a 1 port and a 4 port version and can be configured for Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, PROFINET, or TCP/IP.

Please contact me directly if you'd like additional information.

Jason Reiling
Comtrol Corporation
763-494-4144