barcode scanning

T

terry norman

I am a final year degree student looking into the possibility of checking that the correct labells have been fitted to bottles during production.
the scanner would have to scan 250 bottles per min and be able to be connected to a reject of warning system if an incorrect label was
detected.
thank you

T

Tanweer Ahmed

Hi Norman,
The task is not much difficult. The simple way every body do is that the level has a BAR CODE printed on it. You can include any information in the code. There are bar code readers in the market that gives you a pulse if the code matches or does not match (depends how you configure it). Using this pulse you can actuate a pneumatic cylinder to send the defective bottle into the rejection bin. To find a suitable barcode reader check Arcoma or Romaco of Germany. You can use any othe brand as well.

Good luck.

Tanweer Ahmed
[email protected]

S

Silicon Dynamics Consulting Inc.

Have a look at

http://www.microscan.com

Devices there are Bar Code Scanners which can be set up in many useful ways to do the kind of thing you want to do.

They have a photo cell input and programmable
discrete outputs which can be activated for match or no match conditions based on a master Bar Code programmed into the scanner.

A couple of notes:

The SIZE (distance between bars and bar width in mills) of your bar code will make a huge difference in your Read Ability at these speeds as well as the orientation of your code with respect to the scanner. Picket fence or ladder.

The higher the density of the code (UPC I Guess)
the more expensive the scanner. Don't buy a scanner that cannot read your code.

As well there are two types of scanner . Fixed line and Raster. In the Raster Model the Beam Moves Up and down through a programmable arc at a programmable rate for situations where the product is moving or you want to see more of the code in a picket fence arrangement.

If you send a sample of your code to these people they can specifically tune the scanner for the best possible read rate.

There are other providers of these devices but I found these people knowledgeable & helpful.

Pat Tisdall
Silicon Dynamics Consulting Inc.

A

Anthony de la Rosa

that should be no problem, at my plant I use Adaptascan, now owned by Accusort and Sick Optics barcode scanners. Check out the Sick Optics
www.sickoptic.com for what you have in mind the CLV-210 or CLV-230 should fit the bill nicely.

anthony

R

Rob Faragher

I disagree. The proof is in the pudding and the final product is the correct machine readable barcode. What better way to verify that the
correct label has been applied than to read it with equipment similar to that of the prospective user? There are lots of scanners to choose from,
just search the net. I've used Accu-Sort and Sick with success but you might also consider DataLogic and of course Symbol.

Measure the control variable directly whenever possible.

good hunting

Rob

M
You have (at least) two problems here.

The first is speed (60/250=240mS), this shouldn't be too much of a problem, but bunching of the bottles may cause some trouble.

What kind of Bar Code are you thinking of using? The format of the code may affect readability in particular circumstances and the speed of processing.

The other potential problem is label orientation. There is no garauntee what orientation a bottle will be in when the label has been applied. Work can be done to reduce the affect of this.

One possible solution is to check the code on the label before it is applied to the bottle and then simply check for the presence of a label on the
bottle. This kind of set up is used succesfully on a number of packing lines, particularly I have seen it used on pharmaceutical lines.

A Laetus Pharmacode reader (http://www.laetus.com) reads the label te label
is applied then an ultraviolet detector is used to detect that the label is applied. If the label is correct and the bottle has a label then the label on the bottle is correct. Shift registers are used to keep track of reject labels and bottles.

You might also try http://www.sick.co.uk.

Omron have a small mark detector (simple vision system). http://www.eu.omron.com

J

Johan Bengtsson

That depends on if it is enough that the barcode is readable (sorry I have not followed this thread before, perhaps this is way out of topic)

If what you want to pass for a correct label is a readable barcode you should have a barcode scanner. If, on the other hand, what you want to pass for a correct label is a not broken, straight enough placed and so on label you should have some kind of vision system.

As stated below, try to measure the control variable. Sometimes it may be hard to determine the control variable....

/Johan Bengtsson

----------------------------------------
P&L, the Academy of Automation
Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.pol.se/
----------------------------------------