Base Load Temperature

G

gbala

I am an intern. I just saw on my HMI "base load temperature." I don't really know what it means.

Before I answer, I think if you use the Search box in the top right corner of the forum and search for "Temperature Control" you should find some relevant information, it's been discussed many times before.

If you don't get an answer, reply back

There are at least three "fields" on the left side, center (vertically) of most GE-design heavy duty gas turbine HMI displays. The three are usually: Status, Control, Sequence (if I recall correctly).

I would guess the field you saw change to "Base Load Temperature" was the 'Control' field.

The fuel which is being admitted to the turbine can be controlled by any one of several methods: Start-up, Acceleration, Droop Speed Control, Isochronous Speed Control, Shutdown Control and Exhaust Temperature Control. The last one, Exhaust Temperature Control is referred to by many different terms, including Base Load Temperature Control, Base Load, CPD_biased Exhaust Temperature Control, and so on.

When the given (average) exhaust temperature for a particular axial compressor discharge pressure (signal name CPD) reaches a certain value, then the unit is said to be on Exhaust Temperature Control, or Base Load Temperature control, or CPD-biased Exhaust Temperature Control. At this point, no more fuel can be admitted to the turbine; it is operating at its maximum allowable fuel flow-rate/power output for the given conditions at that time (axial compressor cleanliness; inlet filter cleanliness; ambient temperature and -humidity); hot gas path part condition; exhaust duct back pressure; ambient (barometric) pressure), etc.

When an operator selects Base Load operating mode, that tells the turbine control system to increase the fuel until the unit reaches the maximum allowable exhaust temperature for the axial compressor discharge pressure and then maintain that fuel flow-rate (as a function of exhaust temperature versus axial compressor discharge pressure). The unit is said to be "at Base Load" which is the maximum allowable power output possible for the current operating conditions of the machine (external (ambient) and internal (mechanical)).

The GE-design heavy duty control community here at control.com has been going strong for more than 14 years, I think. Many similar questions have been asked and answered in that time--repeatedly. All of the past questions and answers can be accessed by using the 'Search' feature cleverly hidden at the far right of the Menu bar at the top of every control.com webpage. (The search format and terms are not intuitive--you need to probably use the Search 'Help' the first couple of times.) If you don't find what you're looking for, then we can usually answer questions. If you find what you're looking for, and you like the answer(s), click on the 'Thumbs Up' icon at the top of the page. If, however, you don't like the answer, please--post your problem with the answer and we'll try to correct it.

We are very good at answering questions, and clarifying answers. We're not very good at dealing with doubts.

Again, over the last nearly decade-and-a-half, many questions have been covered many times and in many ways. Most people find they learn a lot more than they were searching for by reading the past threads (sometimes called the "Archives"). And, as always, if you need clarification--we're here to help.

Lastly, one of the things which sets control.com apart from many other similar sites on the World Wide Web is the feedback. Most--but, unfortunately, not all--questioners respond with feedback about the information they receive, or to tell us how they solved their problem. THAT is unusual in forums such as this, and it makes a great deal of difference because those reading the threads (when they're new and current, or by searching the Archives) can see if the information was helpful or not when choosing to implement or exercise the recommended actions. So, if you find the information provided in responses to your question(s) useful and helpful in resolving issues--let us know! It helps others reading these posts (and a LOT of people read these posts over time!), and it's always nice for the responders to hear if their information was useful or not. None of us get paid for our responses, so it's gratifying to know if the information we provided was useful, or not, as the case may be.

Welcome to the forum?