Basic RS232 communications question

M

Maclean

Does anybody know where to start to gather resources to create a project with RS 232 Communications with either C, C++ or VB?

I'm pretty new to this, and am a recent grad from electronics. So, as far as the electronics side goes... i'm okay. The software communication is my problem.

I've limited knowledge on C++, little to none with C as well as VB.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

simplest way is to handle the compoort as a file. You can just open the compoort exactly as you open a file:

VB : OPEN compoort1 For INPUT as #1.

But you have be careful with this instruction coz sequence of read and write can crash your PC. Better solution just use Comm32.ocx in your application. You only have to configure object and the compoort works. good luck.

The quick and simple route would be to review VB's MSComm32 control there are lots of code examples available and the control makes it fairly straight forward.

Michael Bearden
[email protected]

P

Pedro Miguel

Use the MSCOMM control in VB 6.0 enterprise and use the examples, is very easy to implement regards,

Pedro Miguel

S

Sandeep Navale

Hi,

RS232 communication using VB MScomm control is easy. You can also find examples of the code in the help.

D

Dave Zimbrich

Try starting at the B&B Electronics website http://www.bb-elec.com/. They have an extensive library of RS-232 and RS-485 hardware. I am not sure if they have any coding application notes, but it is a good starting place. Good luck!