BMS/PMS/SCADA/PLC

E

etzzz

Guys… I need your help!

I am a freshly graduated electrical engineer with zero background in control. I am supposed to take over the tasks of our instrumentation consultant who is leaving the company. I need guidelines. How am I supposed to review BMS/PMS/SCADA/PLC or any other automaton systems designs or come up with designs to monitor and control the below facilities? What are the basic field devices required for each one of these facilities? I would appreciate it if I could get step by step instructions to follow.

• AC plants with chillers, cooling towers, etc.
• Buildings (HVAC and Electrical)
• Lifting-stations
• Waste Water Treatment Plants

I just need guidelines to follow in order to come up with or troubleshoot a design for the above mentioned facilities.

BMS: Building Management System
PMS: Plant Management System
SCADA: Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition
PLC: Programmable Logic Controller

Your help is highly appreciated!

etzzz

M

Matthew Hyatt

Your used to homework right? Well, I would say your homework is cut out for you.

I would ask the leaving consultant for some input, get your self subscriptions to a variety of industrial trade mags, do some searching on the internet and start getting up to speed right away.

There are some many diffrent approaches to the items you asked about that the flood of response could be overwhelming.

MJH

J

James Aulgur

We have a lot of independants that work all over the county with different systems, brands, etc... To help support people just like yourself. [email protected] and I'll hook you up.

Jim

Hi,
I have also graduated recently and i have been appointed in Siemens as trainee engineer. I could not help you with aal the topics but I can help you with PLC and SCADA. Check out these links, they will be useful. I am searching on SCADA, i will let you know if I get some intresting materials. You can contact me through my email [email protected]. It will bb much more easier if work together.
cu

You have your work cut out for you. To list all of the above mentioned help would take pages and pages to write. My advice start researching on the internet, look to ISA for some help. Don't be afraid to ask technicians for help. It kind of sounds like you are being thrown to the wolves. You are either going to learn alot quick or fall on your face. Good luck!!!

I've been at this for 20 years and I would barely be up to the challenge you have inherited. On the other hand, one eats an elephant one bite at a time.

I suggest that you find a handful of very good vendors: one PLC programmer, one BMS programmer, one HMI programmer, one industrial instrument vendor (Yokogawa, E&H, Foxboro or Rosemont would be best simply due to the wide range of products they offer), one commercial instrument vendor (perhaps a catalog distributor such as Intech). I suggest that you post individual questions here - ones more focused on clearly identifiable problems. Get familiar with some good web resources for BMS such as http://www.energy.iastate.edu/DDC_online/index.html and industrial control such as http://www.isa.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Members_and_Leaders/Dictionary/Definitions/Definitions.htm

Good luck.