Boolean View of Modicon Ladder Logic

C

Chance Back

We are working on a major controls upgrade and some of the controls to be replaced are currently on Modicon PLCs. The upgrade will move this all to a Westinghouse Ovation DCS system, which if you're not familiar with uses Boolean as its means of programming discreet control. My question is this, as a time saving method, does anyone know of any software tools that would allow viewing of the ladder logic from the Modicon in a Boolean format? We use both Modsoft and Proworx, so something that would work with either of these platforms would be great. Chance Back MP&W

Modicons' way of scanning networks cannot be converted to boolean. Some things you can program on modicon will have no boolean equvalent. Sugesstion - use Quantum PLCs.

C
We are using Quantum PLCs now, that is what is being replaced by the new DCS. Chance Back MPW

A

Anthony Kerstens

There's no way to do it short of sending the printed listing to a text file and writing a program to parse it. And that might be more of a task than simply sitting down and doing it by hand. I'm curious as to why you're replacing your PLC's with a DCS. Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

I too am curious. You can use Concept to program your PLC in boolean function blocks. I quite like it. Rob Faragher Augher Control Systems Inc Phone 1-905-646-6552 FAX 1-905-646-9338 Cell 1-905-327-3020 Email [email protected] Site 1-905-548-7200 ext. 1405 Email [email protected]

Remember when you are converting to boolean that Modicon logic goes top to bottom then left to right in any given network. For example, a coil (output) located left and below a contact with the same address will be affected by the coil state within the same scan. Depending on your application, this may be helpful.