Cable Fault Locator

B

Bob

Looking for accurate device, to pinpoint resistive faults within power cable. Lots of devices out there, but TDR types are too complicated to use, and low power bridge types only work good with long cable lengths (>0.5 ohms per conductor), and others require lead acid type batteries for sufficient test current. Looking for easy to use unit, that will work over wide range of power cable products (without re-calibration), that will work with short lengths of cable (<100 meters), preferably hand-held, preferably digital display, and without 60 lb, messy, lead acid battery to drag around ! Ratiometric calculation / display o.k., but would prefer if technician could "punch in" length of cable, and on-board microprocessor calculates distance to fault in feet. If commercial made unit not available, I might entertain idea of custom made unit.

The 60lb batteries surprises me. More commonly one would use potable bridges. Many diffrents kinds to suit the type of checking. Those based on refrence cells (Weston) are lightweight. Microprocesor based ? No idea.

J
Try contacting a company called BICCOTEST, they used to be part of BICC cables, the former cable giant. biccotest now are an individual company with excellent knowledge of cable fault diagnostics.

I guess a TDR is the best tool for the job though

J
Try contacting a company called BICCOTEST, they used to be part of BICC cables, the former cable giant. biccotest now are an individual
company with excellent knowledge of cable fault diagnostics.

I guess a TDR is the best tool for the job though