calibration tables of petroleum tanks

M

MARWAN

i have calibration tables of petroleum tanks (printed copies). we are using manual way to calculate volume of the tanks. i want to use excel program to generate the volume automatically i just need to enter the inaage of the liquid.,can you help me please to solve it with out re enter the data in calibration table? i have good experience in excel

Z

Zacharia, Tomy

Dear Marwan,
What is the type of tank, floating roof or conical? Your calculation method will change accordingly. The trick is to use the lookup functions hlookup, vlookup and lookup functions for reading out values corresponding to dip from a table.

The exact method would be to mimic the methodology used to manually calculate volume. Lookup the value just bigger than the dip and lesser than dip (available in excel sheet) and then interpolate the value in between.

The depending upon roof type, perform the roof weight calculation.

The different types of optimization would be
1. A tank is typically constructed of courses of steel plates. You can identify the same in the dip chart. Thus the number of chart rows in your excel sheet can be reduced. In a 20 m height tank you can manage with 12 points or so.

2. The volumes below datum tends to vary a lot wrt dip. So closer points can be used.

सादर ### Regards,

टॉमी ज़करीया #### Tomy Zacharia