Camera RS485 PTZ Control and MOBUS

W

Wingster

Hi,

I have an RS485 PTZ camera currently controlled directly via the serial RS485 by a PTZ keyboard/joystick. Given with the internet age now, ideally, I would like to have the manipulation go beyond the RS485 in the IP network. There are several questions with respect to the overall mechanism:

1. Do most of the manufacturers, e.g., Pelco PTZ camera, share some sort of the RS485 control protocol? How can I tell what control protocol a vendor or manufacturer uses? Or simply put, whether they even bother to have a common/standard protocol instead of a proprietary ones?

2. Why is MODBUS standard not found in the IETF/RFC?

3. Is MODBUS a true standard that address the industry wide IP-RS485 protocol? Ironically, a standard of RS485 protocol does not seem to exist based on the reading of www.rs485.com.

Appreciate any comment/suggestion.

Wingster

D

dan armstrong

If the camera controls have a custom protocol that is not supported by modbus. KEPWARE makes an opc server with a user configurable driver that may let you implement a new protocol. LABVIEW from NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS also can send serial commands over ethernet.

Pelco uses 2 main protocols for PTZ control in their systems. Both Pelco Dcode and Pelco Pcode are proprietary Pelco protocols, and they are very simplistic. Another common serial PTZ protocol used by some Sony equipment is called Visca.

We have implemented these protocols in our products, in fact we have a "Serial over IP" system in place for remote camera control already. Good Luck, and sorry for the delay as I just ran across your post today 9/1/2004...

-Pat
[email protected]