Can AB PLC accept 0-5V DC signals as analog input

T

tamisham

Can AB PLC accept 0-5V DC signals as analog input? I need to use existing MCS pressure transmitters for PLC based system.

R

Radhakrishnan

By AB PLC, I think you mean PLC-5 series. You can use the 1771 series modules (1771-IL, to be more specific).

J

Jeremy Pollard

All AB PLCs have analog input cards... So if the resolution can be 1 in 4095 then you are in business.

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Caring Canuckian!
www[.]tsuonline.com

Control Design www[.]controldesign.com
Manufacturing Automation www[.]automationmag.com

3 Red Pine Court, RR# 2 Shanty Bay, Ontario L0L 2L0
705.739.7155 Cell # 705.725.3579

AB analog input cards are set up as 0-10 vdc, +/- 10 vdc, 0-20 ma or 4-20 ma. If you have a 0-5 vdc signal, use 0-10 vdc analog input then scale the input to compensate. If 0-5 represents 0-100 PSI then scale your input for 0-200 PSI result or 0-2048 high low reference using the SCP instruction.

Consider the SNAP Ethernet I/O system from Opto 22. With built-in EtherNet/IP, an extensive range of analog input modules, and lifetime guarantee (plus free training, software, technical support, and pre-sales engineering assistance), SNAP I/O can deliver scaled, conditioned signals to your PLC in any engineering units you desire. Plus, they are higher resolution than the 8-bit resolution noted above (0-4095).

http://www.io4ab.com

Best of luck on your project.

Regards,

-Benson

If you're going to consider remote i/o, you might also want to check out Acromag's 962EN-6006, 6ch Differential, 16 Bit, AI-V Ethernet IP module. Model 964EN-6012 is a 12ch Single-ended 16 Bit, AI-V Ethernet IP remote i/o module. App notes are freely available for SLC, Compact and Control Logix platforms.

These units also support PCCC (ie; needed for SLC processors) and Modbus TCP/IP protocol as well.

Don...