Canopy and Metasys mix

T

Tom Howe

I use Metasys to monitor both Fire points and HVAC points. It is networked currently with both ARCNet (fiber ANSI/ATA 878.1-1999 standard) and Ethernet (CAT-5 copper 802.3 standard). The ARCNet simply too old and does not exist in Johnson's new world order plus the LAN is controlled by a bunch of cyber-nazis' from back east that rarely if ever let me know when they change their network. So I am looking to create a stand alone WAN to migrate Metasys (and other control systems in the future) to. Has anyone worked with Canopy and other similar process controls??

P

Peter Whalley

Hi Tom,

The very latest info I have from Johnson Controls indicates that they have finally seen the light and are embracing Open communications standards to a much greater degree than in the past. You may want to talk to them about their latest BACnet over IP and web based options.

From a building automation perspective, BACnet has many advantages as an open communications platform but you should also consider web based solutions possibly using XML. See the January 2004 issue of Automated Buildings
(http://www.automatedbuildings.com) for further discussion.

Regards

Peter Whalley
Magenta Communications Pty Ltd
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
e-mail: peter*no-spam*@magentacomm.com.au
delete *no-spam* before sending

Hi Peter,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I have looked at the BACNet devices and to my disappointment there is no way the buget will allow me to update from NCM-350 to BACNet. Reason, the Air Force Base I'm at just updated from NCM-200 to the 350s... hehehe, go figure.

So I am stuck with NCM-350 until then. Thanks for the thought though. :)

Tom

Hi Jeremy,

Yes I am. The SM is a level 2 switch according to motorola. If that is the case then all I would need to do is contect the NIC card in the NCM-350 to it. But it would be nice to know if it has ever been tried before, prior to me nose diving into the lake...lol

Tom

J

Jeremy Pollard

Hey Tom - we are using the canopy system to connect a city's municipal water system's locations to a central point, and each point has a PLC at it with a serial port device server to put it onto the ethernet. Works like a
charm.

We are using routers and VPN connections to allow for remopte but secure monitoiring. The company that has implmented the wireless system is Point to Point comms - a reseller in Barrie.

There is some configuration of the entry points required but it has worked well for 6 months thru bad weather etc. It has reached -30 and the system has worked well.

I can put in touch with the reseller if you need but I'm sure Motorola can provide necessary stuff. Here to help:)

Cheers from: Jeremy Pollard, CET The Crazy Canuckian!
Integration and Automation Training, Consulting, and Software
http://www.tsuonline.com