Can't connect to TSX micro

C

chris

I have been trying to get a tsx micro 3722001 to connect to a red lion hmi. i did manage to get them communicating but when the hmi was plugged in i couldn't connect to the plc with my pc, unplug the hmi and it worked fine for about an hour then i tried to connect to the plc again via my pc and it just keeps failing. i was hoping somebody might have an idea of what to do before i bin the plc, i've tried different leads different pcs, i don't have any error lights, also the hmi can still communicate with the plc.

The TSX3722 Micro has two mini DIN circular ports called TERM & AUX. In reality these are the same port, port.0.

They are wired in parallel, except that the AUX port does not carry a 0v & 5vDC supply.

This port can be configured as UNITELWAY or Modbus, BUT not both at the same time.

This port provides access to 8 addresses on UNITELWAY. The programming cable uses address 1,2 & 3 when connected to PC. Normally the HMI Telemecanique Magelis would take the next two addresses 4 & 5.

If you HMI is on modbus it will not be possible to communicate to both at once DIFFERENT protocols.
Telemecanique make low cost HMI called XBTN around £150 connecting on Modbus or Unitelway. 2 or 4 line text displays.

I imagine your problem is the HMI is on modbus, or you have address conflict. Check the HMI addressing.

Note sure exactly how you are connecting, but remember - TER port is for Programming unit, and the AUX port is used for an HMI.

The normal questions still apply, meaning, if you are having trouble, it never hurts to recheck:

comm parameters - baud, parity, stop bit, etc.
cables - did you make your own? recheck...
protocol - Modbus? Unitelway?

If you provide more details I'll try to answer again. Good luck!

MikeD

thanks for the replies but i got it sorted now, the hmi is running unitelway but i've had to set it up as a slave, which means that it works fine when its plugged in on its own but if i plug a pc in as well the comms to the hmi slows right down and sometimes times out but the pc connection stays on. if i set the hmi up as the master and the plc up as the slave and connect the hmi and the pc then the pc connection times out. i tried increasing the timeout time but that doesn't work, for the moment i guess i'll just have to make do until red lion update the hmi firmware. i usually do use the xbt magelis hmis but the red lion G308 display is about half the price of an XBT touchscreen one and it has more features such as data logging and an embedded webserver.

Chris,

I am posting this in case you did not receive my email. I am willing to bet your problem is being generated by your cable. If you are using the cable drawing we had on our website, then you are forcing the Micro PLC into slave mode. This is why our Master driver works, but the slave does not. Likewise, this is why your PC cannot communicate with the PLC, because the PC is actually a slave when you program the PLC. To remedy this situation remove the jumper between pins 5 and 7 on the mini-din connector, that is what forces the PLC into slave mode. At this point you can use our slave driver, as well as communicate with your PC. If you have any furthers problems or questions, feel free to call or email. Our phone number is 717-767-6511.

Below is a link to a new application note which explains options, available parameters, and the 2 cable drawings for using the Telemechanique driver.

http://www.redlion.net/Support/InfoSheet/Unitelway.pdf

Regards,

Dan