Capacitance Level problem!

J

Juan Pinzon

Hi everybody,

I am facing a hard time because capacitance level transmitters installed inside a DEA sump drum are working very bad, one is measuring only hydrocarbon and the other is measuring interface between amine and hydrocarbon. But the problem is not this, the problem is that the process taps are very long and narrow (2 inches diameter) and the sensors are flexible. That means one wire for reference ground and other wire for measure. Now these wires are touching the internal walls of the process tap because of the small diameter, and this affects the measuring. Has anyone faced the same problem? I hope get help from you!!

P.S. The other problem is that this drum is installed underground, and we don't have a visual level reference, but we are using a tape with cream to detect water or hydrocarbon, therefore it is not a big problem.

Regards,
J.Pinzon
Instruments Technician

J
Kevin,

That is a good recommendation, but I don't want to change the original design. If this was the case I will be changing to bubble level measuring. for me it is more easy to put in operation, but I need evaluate the specifics gravity inside the drum looking for if it is stable (no change through the time I mean, not a lot of different liquid inside the drum). Sincerely I don't know why the engineer selected this type of probe and not evaluated the installation details in the drum. For this time I will be working a little in this system....

Regards,
J.Pinzon

Juan,

Just a few other ideas/thoughts. You can put a weight on the end the cable to keep it straight and/or you can use teflon spacers to keep the wire centered in the nozzle.

Thanks
-Kevin

J
Dear Kevin,
The transmitter have installed a weight on the end the cable and too have installed teflon spacer, I am thinking to put a plastic bag around the both wires or something like that but minimize the error caused by the process tap.....the main problem is that the process tap diameter is only 2 inches, therefore, now I will be reducing the teflon spacer large, the only problem with this it is that need it a lot of teflon spacer for agree with my objetive, but I hope to put in operation those level transmitter soon,

Maybe I need to install the teflon spacer in order to centered the wire in the nozzle, not for separate both wire.........but this is important too, the wire cant be touching it.....

Regards and thanks by your recommendation.....
J.Pinzon