Carbon Pellet Continuous Level Measure

M

Mike Ecklund

The tanks range in size from 30 to 5 feet in height. The carbon pellets are 2-3mm in diameter. They sit on the bottom of the tanks that are filled with water. The pellets settle very fast, so there is a very distinctive carbon level line in the tank. I need to generate an analog signal to measure the varying levels of carbon pellets in the tanks, while ignoring the water. I can do this on a point level, but have had little luck doing it on a continuous level. If anyone has any suggested manufacturers of a continuous level sensor that will just pick out the carbon, I would be extremely appreciative.

J

Johan Bengtsson

A thought occured to me, do you want the level of only the settled carbon pellets or would you be completely off if you get both the settled an the not settled? Since they collect at the bottom there should be some difference in density, what if you simply weigh the whole tank as well as measure the level of water? By calculating the expected weight given the water level and the knowing the difference in density you should be able to calculate the amount of pellets. Of course, there are some things that could make this method completely useless, or at least not apply to you needs: - If the density of the pellets are varying or too close to the water this method will give you too low accuracy - There are water among the pellets, if the spacing between the pellets are varying (could it by the way) the level could be different for the same amount of pellets Others on the list will probably suggest various devices that will measure the level, check them out first they are perhaps better for your needs, but anyway... /Johan Bengtsson ---------------------------------------- P&L, Innovation in training Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833 E-mail: [email protected] Internet: http://www.pol.se/ ----------------------------------------

P

Pierre Desrochers

If all else fail could you not install 2 transmitters. One above the tank, measuring the level of water (ultrasound?) One floating on the water measuring the level of pellets (radar?) Subtracting the 2 results... My 2 cents.

A

Adolfo Jimmy Saldivias

You can use Enraf, servo sistem 854XTG. It will ignore the water. You can find more information on www.enraf.com. You can download pdf files for this product at their website too. Regards Jimmy Saldivias TECSIM Phone: 591-4-523438 Fax: 591-4-523413 http://tecsim.trading.net

A

Anthony Kerstens

Are the tanks filled to the top with water, and does the water level remain the same? If so, you might try capacitive level probes. Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

J
I am looking for these cabon pellets that you are talking about. I think they are the same ones I need. I am trying to filter the odor that is produced when a co2 laser cuts acrylic, wood, plastic, and different stone. Can you let me know where I might find a lot of it.