Career advice sought

Hi guys,

I'm an old school software engineer. Started hacking with Linux over 30 years ago. Went on to university. Followed the money into analyst programmer roles, then IT consulting. Tried escaping it a few times, but for my sins I've found myself back on the tools working as an embedded software engineer for a company doing mission critical radio comms.

Pay is not great, and my passion lies in automation and agri business - have been building my own full scale grow room with all the automation and a reasonable chunk of hardware too - have also built central heating systems and farm irrigation solutions in the past.

Trouble is, I am stuck with a label as a software guy, and despite a bit of PLC experience, and a lot of lower level protocol experience, I feel I never get a look in at contracting for control type work - and of course I can't touch mains+ voltage because of the regs.

I'd happily do the study to get some certification - but in my country you need an apprenticeship first and it's likely way too late for that now.

As I work out the last say 10 years or so of working life, would be nice to get paid for doing stuff I enjoy.

Welcome thoughts, thanks.

What is your crossroad situation? Looking for a new adventure? Do you want to branch out into something new? Have your sights set on an industry that looks amazing?

I'm sure there are tons of people here who would like to provide encouragement or advice if they can.

If you're considering a career in automation the best advice I can offer is to get some practical hands-on experience operating and troubleshooting systems that are already in some way automated. That's the BEST WAY to get familiar with processes and the drawings and documents provided with them (P&IDs (Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams); manuals; SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures); etc.). Being able to read and understand P&IDs is very important to operators and technicians. But being a good operator--knowing what's supposed to happen when and what's NOT supposed to happen when--is INVALUABLE to becoming a good automation technician or programmer/system integrator.

Personally I found control system commissioning and then designing to be fascinating. But, I worked for what was at the time a major multi-national corporation and was a field engineer, and I loved it. I loved the travel; the changes of scenery; developing relationships with some of the people that supported what I was doing in the field. And, those relationships were, in large part, responsible for a lot of any success I had in my career. Some people call it 'networking'--but whatever it's called it's important. No person is an island in this world.

Designing and commissioning turbine-generator control systems was my passion. You know what they say, "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." I put in over 3,000 hours a year some years, near 4,000 hours in a couple. Working from 7:00 am to 4:00 am, and back at the site at 7:00 am (I've eaten SO MUCH pizza--some of it REALLY BAD pizza sitting in a window-less metal building waiting for construction to finish piping and wiring so I could test devices).

But, it was a good life, and the company I worked for paid very well. And, I embraced the concept of compound interest. It's a pretty simple thing--pay yourself first, and never touch that money and you will be a very happy person. Especially if you're doing something you love. Yes; there are going to be difficult people on some jobs, but there are difficult people in many office environments, too. (I used to have to yell at people to get out of my office when I was working in the factory because I couldn't get anything done listening to them blather and complain.)

All good things do come to an end. I wouldn't change much if I had it to do over again and know what I know now. I would have paid myself more (saved more is what I'm trying to say) is one thing I would do, but I can't complain at all really.

Anyway, crossroads can be a good thing. Whatever you choose make a commitment to embrace it and put your heart in it. Chances are good things will work out. Look back and wonder if you made the right choice and you will probably find yourself at another crossroads soon.

Best of luck. Networking. Commitment. The power of compound interest. All good things. And don't be afraid to ask questions, and be suspect of anyone who tells you, "Because we've always done it that way." They might know what they're doing and just be a poor communicator, or, you may have asked at an inopportune time--but most likely they are clueless about whatever you asked about, and a lot of other things, too.

Tchau!

nzfarmer
My "BSEE" degree was "Electronics"! Unfortunately, the company I started with needed "BSEE" Power. The Chief Engineer suggested I become an Electrician's-Helper, for 6 months! I got 2 "MSEE" degrees some 8 years later in, one in "Power"! The other in "Protective Relaying! " Being an Electrician's-Helper, was a great learning experience. Especially when related to safety!
Regards, Phil Coro