Career Advice

M

Michael

Hello everyone:

I need some advice regarding my career as an electrical controls engineer. I am an EE with a background in industrial controls and automation. I have been doing this for about 15 years and I have really enjoyed all aspects of it. I have been involved with hardware as well as software (PLCs, HMIs, Drives, etc).

Recently I was laid off and found a job that when advertised seemed the perfect fit (Controls and automation). however after I started I realized it is not exactly what the employer described to me. To summarize, the job does not require my skills in PLC programming, Drives, Motion, etc. The company structure is such that there is a separate software group, which outsources most of the work (PC based control) overseas.

The company and people are great. The salary and benefits are also reasonable. The only problem I have is that I am concerned that I am loosing my edge and not really learning much (ok, some). From experience I know that things will slowdown for this employer as well and I can only rely on my skills to remain employed (if I am wrong let me know).

I have a family and changing jobs scares me, as I have had some bad experiences before, but I am getting bored out of my head here.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

B

bob peterson

I think you have a paying job.

I think that if you really wanted to you could keep your skills up to date.

the thing is that the automation world is constantly changing. No matter where you go there is a chance your skills will not translate well at other companies.

part of being an automation engineer is learning to deal with new things as they pop up. IMO, that is a lot of what I am being paid for. A lot of what i do could easily be done by the typical plant floor electrician these days.

--
Bob

Only you can decide.

If you are unhappy/bored at work, it will show up in your work, and possibly at home too.

Having a job in this economy is a blessing.

Looking for another job while having a job is a blessing. (advice: Look for a job now)
You do not want to look for a job when you are out of a job.

W

William Sturm

I have generally regretted staying at jobs I have not liked in the past.  If I was in your situation, I would be looking for a better opportunity for the long term.  Take some time and be sure that you actually find what you are looking for.  Short term, just keep working hard and be happy that you have steady work.  You can possibly do some hobby projects at home to keep your skills up to date also.

I know this situation. I was in the same in the past.
The job was not as described and discussed before. My salary was just ok for the beginning but the people where great. But it was not my compliance.

How ever.
Keep in mind that you have currently a paying job.
I have to agree with anom, only you can decide.
You did not wrote how long you now in this company. Maybe it will change in the future?!

If I would be in that situation again I would go the following way.
Take the best out of this situation and try to find a new job. You are not in a hurry (which is a good situation). So you can search and find the right job for you.