Career Question

A

AEW

I'm a new member so I'm asking for forgiveness up front for my inexperience.

I have been away from this industry for 10+ years and would like to get back into it. Not surprisingly I have been having problems just getting an interview. I know I need to bring my skills current but not sure how to do that. I thought I might try volunteering but can't seem to find anyone that is looking for a controls engineer to volunteer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to bring my skills current?

Thanks in advance!

C

Curt Wuollet

That's strange, there should be a pressing need for people to work on 10 year old technology. I've been to very few places that don't have it around. In fact, I've had more people ask me about old stuff than anything new. Look to field service if you can. If you're willing to travel, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a gig. Or go to where the work is. If I was willing and young enough to work the oil fields in N. Dakota, I would have been working a lot sooner. And remember, the latest technology and software is only 5% of the job because running the software is only 5% of the job. Solving the problem or knowing how to control things is far more important than what you code it with. Of course, management doesn't get that, That's why they like training more than knowledge.

Regards
cww

>Which industry? Having done what?

Good Questions.

I have done projects for following industries;
Food (packaging equipment)
Utilities (chillers & boilers)
Pulp & Paper (non-woven products)
Pharmaceutical (material handling)

My responsibilities have included;
PLC programming
SCADA programming
Control panel design
Pushbutton station design
System Validation
Startup and commissioning

What do you think?

Thanks CWW. You make some very valid points about experience.

I have considered submitting for intern and entry level positions but have not considered field service jobs yet and it sounds like a good idea.

Also, solving problems and knowing how to control things are skills that can be taken for granted. I'' have to get them into my resume somehow.

Thanks again.