Changing SDCC Cards, Now Having Problems with MarkV Download

B

Bayramoglu

Hi,

I am working on frame6 gas turbine using MarkV control system. after I change SDCC card in <T>, the controller stopped on A4 and not reach A7. i change the voted ID to T and made EEPROM downloader, but not success.

Please can u tell me the exact way to do this?

thanks

Bayramoglu,

Hmmm.... Did you set the hardware ("Berg") jumpers on the new card in exactly the same position as on the card being replaced? Did you double-check the hardware jumpers?

Have you made sure all of the cables on the LCC and DCC card are properly inserted--especially the 3PL cable that connects the LCC to the DCC and to the TCQA card? (There are usually no pull tabs on the 3PL cable--making it difficult to unplug without damaging the cable connectors, especially the ones for the LCC and DCC card connections.) A LOT of problems can be traced to poor or bad 3PL cable problems. Also, are you sure the cables were all plugged back in properly (the "trace" of the cable (the odd-colored conductor of the cable) should be at the Pin 1 connector side of the cable ('Pin 1' is usually silk-screened on the card for every cable)?

If you can communicate with <T> from the operator interface, have you FORMATted the EEPROM on <T> before downloading? Use the EEPROM Downloader and download only the FORMAT partition to <T>, and after a successful download message (no errors or warnings), then cycle the power to <T> from <PD> (by switching off the power supply to <T> (or unplugging the J1T cable), waiting approximately 30 seconds, then switching the power to <T> back on (or plugging the J1T cable back in). It's important to wait a few seconds (approx. 30) before re-applying power to the processor when re-booting to avoid damaging the power supply and/or the I/O cards. (Some people say to just use the little white button on the DCC card to re-boot the processor--BUT that DOES NOT cycle the power to the processor and the associated DCCA card(s), so it's always best to use the power cycle method of re-booting Mark V processors.)

After you download FORMAT and re-boot the processor (which effectively erases the contents of EEPROM), you then need to download USER (which includes everything but FORMAT and TOTD) and re-boot the processor again. (You can download ALL safely <b>IF and ONLY IF</b> you're only downloading to one processor; the TOTD contents of the processor you're downloading to will eventually be over-written by the designated voter--but this is not recommended unless you've uploaded the TOTD contents from one of the other working control processors (<R>, <S> or <T> prior to downloading ALL.)

So, you've been able to change the Voter ID to <T>, and you have successfully downloaded (no errors or warning reported during the EEPROM Download), and you have cycled the power to <T> from the <PD> core, and still the processor won't go past A4? What alarm(s) are displayed in the LCC display when it's stuck at A4?

Have you used the LCC display to check the I/O States of the individual cards associated with <T>? To do this, you need to press the DCC button of the LCC display; "-- 186 MONITOR --" will be shown in the LCC's display. Then press the DEC (DECrement) button of the LCC keypad once, and "7 > IO STATES" should be shown in the LCC Display. Then press the ENTER button of the LCC display.

The socket number/obj ID, the I/O card's name, and the I/O card's I/O Status will be displayed. Write down this information (it helps to have a second person to record the information), then press the INC button to scroll to the next I/O card, and record the information for that card. Then press INC to scroll to the next I/O card, and record the information for that card. Continue to do so until you can no longer scroll any further (the card information in the LCC display does not change).

Now, look at the I/O States of all the I/O Cards--you need to start with the lowest I/O state and resolve that problem, then continue until all cards are at A6. Once all cards get to I/O State A6, they will all transition to A7 (which is 'outputs enabled').

If there are asterisks displayed for any card name, then the LCC/DCC cannot communicate with that card.

Remember-all of <T>s complement of I/O cards are NOT contained in <T> core. The TCEA card in Loc. 5 of <P> core is connected to <T> via the IONET cable, which also runs to the DCCA card of Loc. 3 of <QD1> core, and if so equipped, to the DCCA card of Loc. 3 of <QD2>. So, all of those cards need to be powered-up and communicating (via the IONET cable) to <T>.

Please write back to let us know what you find and how you resolve the problem!

(To "clear"/reset the LCC Display, you can just press the MAIN button, or, if I recall correctly, you can just wait and after a minute or so, the display will revert to normal.

B
CSA,

thank you for ur response. according to your message i:

1- changed voter ID to T. then i communicate with <T>

2- formatted <T> & reboot the processor.
BUT .. i don't understand what u mean by (download USER)

anyway

3- i upload TOTD from <R>

4- then i download TOTD to <T> and complete successfully.

5- when i made download ALL to <T> only FORMAT and SEQ done successfully but the other files failure to download. and processor stop on A4 and this message appear on LCC screen (DEFAULT sys). note: i checked the IO cards from LCC screen as shown bellow:

(1) TCQA -- A4
(2) **** -- FF
(4) **** -- A1
(5) **** -- A1
(6) **** -- A1
(7) **** -- FF
(8) LCCQ -- A4
(12) DCCQ -- 00
(13) IOMA -- A3
(14) **** -- A1

pls i am waiting your answer

Bayramoglu,

USER is one of the options for the EEPROM Downloader (like TOTD and SEQ and IOCFG). Refer to the Mark V Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980, for more information; or type EEPROM /? at the command prompt and press ENTER to get a help screen for the EEPROM Downloader.

I would suggest going over the card again--making sure the hardware ("Berg") jumpers are all in the correct place, and then making sure the 3PL cable, as well as all the others, are all properly inserted, seated and all of the ribbon cable connectors are tight and fully connected (there is a backing piece and a male receptacle; the backing piece clips onto the male receptacle, and except for the 3PL cable the pull tab is inserted between the backing piece and the male receptacle). There are some jumpers which are responsible for communications, and they need to be checked.

Although I failed to mention it previously, also check to ensure the chip "legs" of all the PROM chips you moved from the old DCC card to the new DCC card are all properly inserted and not bent or otherwise damaged. Sometimes the legs get bent underneath the chip and are difficult to see that they are not properly inserted (trust me on this one; I have personal experience with this problem).

After that, I would suggest re-downloading the FORMAT partition to <T>, re-booting <T> from the <PD> core (waiting approx. 30 seconds before re-applying power to the control processor). <T> will likely return to A4, and should indicate "DEFAULT SYS". Then download ALL, and wait to see if all the partitions download without any more problems. If the download is successful, you should then re-boot <T> from <PD>, and <T> should go to I/O State A7.

The DCC Monitor function of the LCC Display can only see itself (the LCC), the TCQA, the DCC, and the IOMA (which is only a chip on the DCC--not an actual I/O card). This suggests there may be some problem with the IONET, which should reveal the TCEA and and DCCA cards. I presume your panel does not include a TCQB (which I believe is connected to the TCQA and then to the DCC and the LCC via the 3PL cable).

It may be that because the IOCFG partition (as well as others) didn't get downloaded properly to the EEPROM chip that is causing the inability to see the other I/O cards, because they are not directly connected to the LCC/DCC. That's just a SWAG (Scientific Wild-Arsed Guess), but it makes sense.

There's a little trick you might try if the download doesn't work after all of the above. You can remove the U9 chip on the DCC card (U9 is silk-screened on the card next to the chip socket). U9 is the EEPROM chip, it is a socketed chip, and it does NOT have a label on it. You can then swap it on to the newly installed DCC card (being sure to observe the proper orientation of the chip in the socket). When you re-install the DCC and re-apply power to <T> it will already have the proper EEPROM format and partition information and should go to I/O State A7. If it doesn't, I would suspect some problem with the "new" DCC card. (The Voter ID is also stored on the U9 EEPROM chip if I recall correctly, which is why the processor should know it's already in <T> when you swap the U9 chips.)

If replacing the DCC is not the first thing you did while troubleshooting a problem, please detail the problem you are trying to resolve, all the steps you have taken--and the results of the steps, and we may be able to provide more assistance and information. Again, there's either a problem with the hardware jumpers on the newly-installed DCC card, or there's a cabling problem (connectors or insertion), or there's a problem with the new EEPROM chip (which swapping in the previous EEPROM chip would resolve), or some problem with the DCC which can't be resolved without inserting another DCC (card components (capacitors in particular) do go bad if they have been stored for long periods of time...).

BUT, please ensure all of the jumpers and cables are properly installed, then try re-FORMATting and re-booting, and downloading ALL and re-booting, before trying to change the EEPROM chip. MANY times, people have been certain all the jumpers were in the proper position and the cables were all good and done a lot of troubleshooting (days worth) only to have someone come in with a "fresh set of eyes" and start from scratch and find jumpers and/or cables not correct. Troubleshooting is a logical process of elimination, though many times it's just a "shoot from the hip" shotgun approach which results in lost time and production as well as damaged cards/components.

Also, I have been to many sites where the cards they took from their stores had actually been previously swapped out during previous troubleshooting efforts and were put back in stores without knowing if the card was good or not.

Hope this helps! Please write back to let us know how you fare!

B
CSA...hi

Thank u for your interest..

After making recheck above SDCC jumpers it looks same as origin one. I made these steps:
- Down t1 t format
- down t1 t user
- down t1 t ALL

All of them were ok, but also A4 and default system.

I bring EEPROM from another unit <T> And replace it with our EEPROM on same SDCC and every thing looked good and A7. This mean that jumpers and cables are good but the problem in our EEPROM. Now if our EEPROM have problem why our download procedure success?

- when I check directories R S T, R & S are same and different from T.

Please I am waiting ur reply

Bayramoglu,

Happy to hear you were successful!

You didn't say that you re-booted after each download. The information can't get from EEPROM to RAM until the processor is re-booted.

As for why the downloads were "successful" (I presume that means there were no warnings or errors during the download), some things can't be explained. (If you didn't re-boot between downloads, it's not going to go to A7.) If you removed the card to remove/install the SDCC card, it's possible the cables were not properly connected before?

And, it was not necessary to download USER then ALL. One or the other would have been fine.

Or, you can try installing the suspect EEPROM in the other panel, and see what happens. (You should download to it and reboot it even if it comes up to A7 when you first power it up. There are likely some subtle I/O Configuration differences, particularly LVDT calibration values.)

EEPROM chips can be purchased via any on-line electronics retailer that sells chips. They are pretty common (or at least they were).

B
CSA,

thanks again.

after each step of downloading procedure i did rebooting but didn't wrote because i thought its clear. when i brought another EEPROM from other healthy <T> in another unit and install it on our SDCC card it goes A7, that what i want to explain.

i changed 3 new SDCC card from our warehouse (all of them include EEPROM on it) but also booting stop on A4 and write DEFAULT SYS.
remember i format and download the program as we discuss before to all 3 cards.

do u think if i take healthy EEPROM and copy the program from it to our EEPROM out side machine by copy machine will be successful?

Bayramoglu,

Thanks for the information.

I don't see why you can't copy from one EEPROM to another; it should work.

Have you tried putting the SDCC in the other panel, and then booting it up to see what happens? If it goes to I/O State A7, then it's working--but you should still download USER to the panel (in case there are any sequencing or I/O Configuration or Control Constant differences between the panel--and there will be I/O Configuration Constants differences at a minimum, for LVDT feedback scaling).

Also, if the PROM revisions are different between the panels (perhaps they weren't installed at the same time) then you may need to do a FORMAT and ALL (which includes another FORMAT).

Please write back to let us know what you find!

B
CSA,

good news

after format and reboot <T> i UP ALL from <R> then again DOWN ALL to <T> and reboot <T> then it goes to A7...
i restart the panel and all 3 cores A7.

its good news but i did this procedure before but not success. why i don't know?
important thing is now <RST> are A7.

if u have any more advice to check something i will be glad to do it.

thanks again