Cimplicity and OPC (OFS) with UnityPro Quantum

O

Oren

Hi,
I have a client that wants to use OPC with Quantum/Unity PLCs and Cimplicity HMI. The OPC I propose is the OFS by Schneider.

My client wants to know if such a configuration exist already elsewhere as a reference. In our application we have some 30,000 tags to move from Quantum/984 to Quantum/Unity.

Any reference, or an application note, would be greatly welcome.

I can be reached at oreny @ afcon . co . il

Thanks in advance.
Oren

current implementation of OFS (schneider) shows that this application could not provide satisfied real-time performance requirement for SCADA to PLC communication. It was recommended to only use OFS on non-critical and slow data monitoring within small scale. The only widely implemented communication protocol is still the old fashion Modbus TCP from SCADA to Schneider PLC, with solid tag address and customized data block schematic. This means no Symbolic addressing on Control system programming. And that is how most of the SCADA + Schneider PLC sites were done for real-time plant control. Only some lab simulation demos are developed based on OFS.

It was told a newer Version of OFS would be released sometime in the future. it would be interesting to see how is the performance via testing. Even though, as the base protocol of Schneider PLC is modbus, the enhancement could be limited. Further, the symbolic addressing programming still is restricted by limitations for function such as forcing variable, inter PLC communication etc. they require addressed tags. (Schneider PLC)

Thus the current recommendation is to test out the OFS performance on your system with real devices (or equivalent Hardware on simulation system), and prepare to reverse back using Modbus TCP (Modnet) protocol and to address all tags if the performance could not meet your project's requirement.

HyperSys Nerd

Hey there,
I would like to have some clarifications on your answer.
Please see my question inside your answer.
Oren

> current implementation of OFS (schneider) shows that this application
> could not provide satisfied real-time performance requirement for SCADA to PLC
> communication.

Is that from your own experience?

> It was recommended to only use OFS on non-critical and slow
> data monitoring within small scale.

Where did you see that recommendation?

> The only widely implemented communication protocol is still the old fashion Modbus
> TCP from SCADA to Schneider PLC, with solid tag address and customized data
> block schematic. This means no Symbolic addressing on Control system
> programming. And that is how most of the SCADA + Schneider PLC sites were done
> for real-time plant control.

> Only some lab simulation demos are developed based on OFS.

Can you please cite your source?

> It was told a newer Version of OFS would be released sometime in the
>future.

What version were you using? What version did you expect?

--- snip ---

> Thus the current recommendation is to test out the OFS performance on your
> system with real devices (or equivalent Hardware on simulation system), and
> prepare to reverse back using Modbus TCP (Modnet) protocol and to address all
> tags if the performance could not meet your project's requirement.

This is always the best/right way to do things. Test as much as you can before going to the field.

May see the answers listed below:

> Hey there,
> I would like to have some clarifications on your answer.
> Please see my question inside your answer.
> Oren

>> current implementation of OFS (schneider) shows that this application
>> could not provide satisfied real-time performance requirement for SCADA to
>> PLC communication.

>Is that from your own experience?

Both, by personal and via personal industrial connections, from various industrial projects, some case is commissioned in the mid of 2010.

It is a simple testing could be done by yourself: configure one (ideally several) test PLC(s) with a lot of duplicated Tags (periodiclly changing value), then fire up OFS, use some OPC client to read the Tags out (Matrikon OPC client etc), trace the scanning time both in PLC and OPC, see the difference. Then to use Modbus TCP/IP and other drivers to talk to the same Testbed, trace the scanning time again. Compare the result.

>> It was recommended to only use OFS on non-critical and slow
>> data monitoring within small scale.

> Where did you see that recommendation?

from the fact based on the performance test results, and industrial contacts.

>> The only widely implemented communication protocol is still the old fashion Modbus
>> TCP from SCADA to Schneider PLC, with solid tag address and customized data
>> block schematic. This means no Symbolic addressing on Control system
>> programming. And that is how most of the SCADA + Schneider PLC sites were done
>> for real-time plant control.

>> Only some lab simulation demos are developed based on OFS.

>Can you please cite your source?

to check sites recommended by Schneider, and talk to SIs, clients, consultants, competitors, search the websites...

>> It was told a newer Version of OFS would be released sometime in the future.

>What version were you using? What version did you expect?

Current with V5 of Unity and OFS. the next version to be released shall be clarified with Schneider.

The update of Control field is so fast nowadays, personally I will test the product directly by myself with on-hand experience using the latest version. And as implementation scenario is always different, besides existing Reference sites (normally using old versions), it is always good to evaluate the product directly.

Having Fun

Regards
H-Nerd