Clearance around Network Cabinets

M

Milton Z

I am currently trying to place 6 systems cabinets, that contains servers, network equipment and PCs CPUs. I don't have much clearance to play around with, the clearance dimensions that i am considering are the door's swings for all the cabinets. Are these cabinets subject to the clearances mentioned in the NEC, or should i just simply allow the back doors to swing full in front of the wall behind them (approx 2')?. Technicians will do most of their work thru the front which has plenty of clearance, and randomly access the back.

Can somebody give me some guidelines or opinions for this installation? i would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

B

bob peterson

Look closely at 110.26(A)1(b) and see if you meet all the criteria specified. Then see if you can get "special permission" from whomever your AHJ is. I would bet the answer is no on both counts.

It might be possible to put them on casters so the working space can be moved to the cabinet.

--
Bob

C

curt wuollet

Stand 12" in front of a loaded network cabinet. Your back would be against the wall with your proposal. Now, try to reach the plugs at the bottom. You don't need standards, common sense is a far better guide and will usually exceed applicable standards. Having had to force my aging body into the most unbelievable contortions to fool with tiny screws and sharp fragile things in the dark, makes this a pet peeve. Even with no house power inside, it still takes just as much room to effectively work on something and see what you are doing. Even only occasionally, access can make a simple task nearly impossible.

Regards
cww