Cloning

T

Tim Sharp

I would like to know what the experience of the list is in using Cloning software in the backing up of a control system’s computer? I wonder what type of conflicts one would run into in trying to restore the system when the computer crashes. What happens if you have to replace hardware, do you run into I/O conflicts and have to basically start from scratch and reinstall each item separately?

Any thoughts or applicable experience would be valuable in my consideration of using this system. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

J

Johan Bengtsson

------- Forwarded message follows -------
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: SOFT: Cloning

This topic has been up before, you may want check the archives in addition to all new responses

/Johan Bengtsson

----------------------------------------
P&L, the Academy of Automation
Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN
Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.pol.se/
----------------------------------------

J

Jeremy Pollard

Diskclone from Symantec works great. Problems exist re same hard drive size etc since the file copy mode seems not to be reliable. Buy a separate hard drive and clone it for backup.
If it goes into a new computer however the NT or Win 98 configs will have to be changed.

Cheers from:

Jeremy Pollard, CET
[email protected]
On The Web - http://www.tsuonline.com
PLCopen North America - [email protected] www.PLCopen.org
the Training Factory, Inc.
Programmable Controller Support Systems
The Software User Newsletter ONLINE
The Crazy Canuckian!
8 Vine Crescent, Barrie, Ontario L4N 2B3
705.739.7155 Fax 705.739.7157

A

Anthony Kerstens

> The only problem with cloning or "Ghosting" is software keys and licensed software.<

I would recommend that first software keys are removed, the system cloned, and then the software keys re-installed. In addition, you should have licenses for all copies of software you have. After all, you wouldn't want to be part of the
software piracy problem!

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

A

Anthony Kerstens

> The only problem with cloning or "Ghosting" is software keys and licensed
> software.

I would recommend that first software keys are removed, the system cloned, and then the software keys re-installed. In addition, you should have licenses for all copies of software you have. After all, you wouldn't want to be part of the software piracy problem!

Anthony Kerstens P.Eng.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A General Software Chat 0
K Computing 9