CNet/DNet Numbering

J

John Maple

I have thought about device names (i.e. xxx_pe/+) or associating each field wire with the corresponding rack/slot/point etc. Has anybody found a good way to number devices on these networks that can relate to the program and/or physical location of the IO be it remote or local?

Any help appreciated.
TIA

T
I use ISA tag names for the devices, device tag, program tag, wiring diagram tag, all the same. I used to use IO addresses for wire numbers, and all other wire numbers were based on page of origin in diagrams, ie wire# 3xx originated on page 3. With Controllogix, (Cnet or Dnet) however the conventional IO addresses no longer apply because its all tag based, so now I am using the ISA tag for wire number identification as well, with -X suffixes to designate wire segments. It turns out maintenace rather likes the scheme because they don't have to go get a diagram, even though a diagram would still make their life easier (go figure). I have seen systems where both the ISA tag and a terminal number were on the wire. Ive done several panels for European installation and they don't generally use wire numbers, just terminal numbers, so each end of the same wire can be nubered differently, personally I dont like this method. As for physical location, you can include that in your ISA tag. For example ZSO-301 refers to a position switch open, zone 3, switch 1.