Communicating with Parker SSD drive

T

Tom

So i have a parker SSD drive that im running a 7.5hp blackmax motor to turn a set of wire handling drums. Most of the configuration happens on the touch pad of the drive. however there's one small detail i need to change on the drive that needs to happen on the background software. I have parker's software to do this, and it literally takes thirty seconds to draw a line between two blocks to reconfigure what one of the outputs is telling my plc. the cable the provide to connect to this software is basically a telephone jack to a DE9. they said they don't have one that goes to USB yet, because that means they have to change the drives to accept usb and its too much work because rs232 isn't completely phased out yet. however, looking at their cable, its just a telephone wire, with telephone connectors at each end, (and yes i did plug it into my desk phone and it works just fine) and the de9 end of the plug, just has a telephone jack in the back. so its an adapter of sorts. my serial to USB adapter does not work, as i've seen online, that's very common. I have no slot to try an rs232 card. is there a usb to phone jack adapter for this type of communication or some other way I can guarantee a DE9 to USB adapter will work? or any out of the box ideas that i can try, anything, even if it doesn't work, will get me closer to talking to my drive.

B

Bob Peterson

It is probably just straight RS232. RS232 does not care what connection hardware is used. A fair number of manufacturers have used RJ45 jacks over the years for RS232 links because they are cheap and work well.

You can probably get a USB to RS232 adapter for your computer.

--
Bob
http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

Use a USB to serial adapter. Hook it to the SSD adapter. if you don't have the SSD adapter call them: (704)588-3246 they can tell you how to make it or sell you one for a decent price. The extension cable you have for remote mounting the keypad is not the same cable that connects to their adapter. the adapter comes with its own cable RJ11 on one end and I can't remember the other end?? RJ12 maybe??