Compiled code (was GPL licensing questions - RMS speaks)

R

Ron Davis

-----Original Message-----

>Well:
> - observing the PLC program is no problem, as long as you keep the source code for it, and have access to the data areas.
>
> - on-line changes are hard but not undoable. Basically recompile (or part-recompile), load, and switch-over between scans.
>
> - more likely, though, the compiled code might be just snippets; say a C function doing a couple of arithmetic operations, with the bulk of the program in ladder.
>
> - alternatively, the compiled program might be an adjunct to a logic engine, running some mysterious calculations or algorithms (FFT, neural nets, whatever). You might not need on-line changes, or the on-line changes might just apply to parameters (weights in a neural net).
>
> - the compiled program might be proprietary, in which case you don't get on-line changes even if you stand on your head.
>

The above sounds work-able to me. I'm sure there will be some out there who'll need the extra performance boost. This gives you that, yet still allows one to monitor and modify on-the-fly.

I know some applications such as neural nets, etc. will HAVE to be compiled to be effective.

Ron Davis
[email protected]