Computer Science Degree

K

kim

Student Seeking Advice.
How can a person use a computer science degree to obtain work in industrial Control / Automation? What can be done while in school. What type of jobs are held by people who have a degree in computer science and monitor this newsgroup. [email protected]

K

Khalil, M.K.

I'm a computer Science graduate like you and work with Foxboro. I beleive just like me you can be able to work at the DCS side of control. At the moment I beleive I'm in the same dilemma you r in, I want to further my knowledge (Second Degree) in either Control Engineering or Process Engineering. If you've had any leads pls let me know.
Khalilmk01@ hotmail.com

D

Diana C Bouchard

I have a M.Sc. in Computer Science although it is not recent (1979). I work at an industrial research institute, the Pulp and Paper Research
Institute of Canada (Paprican), in the Process Control Group. During my years here, I have worked in process modelling and simulation, expert
systems, and multivariate statistical analysis. Basically I had to pick up the pulp and paper process knowledge "on the job", but with help from
colleagues, reading, and conference attendance, I could learn enough at least to talk to the experts, if not be an expert. I do not work in
control per se, but again have managed to pick up a working knowledge in this field.

I guess what I'm saying is that the combination of a computer science degree with knowledge of a specific industry and of process control could
be a winner for you. So if you have any elective courses remaining between now and when you complete your degree, or any time to take extra courses (summer?), you might take advantage of the opportunity to beef up your knowledge in these areas. If your program allows you to do a work term or project with a company, that could also provide an entry point.

Good Luck

Diana Bouchard
dbouchard@ paprican.ca
Pointe Claire, Quebec, Canada

G

George Robertson

Anything you want. Try to get summer internships if you can... My degree is Computer Science. If you want to be an engineer, try to study in a school which offers "computer engineering" as an Abet accredited degree.

I have a C.S. Degree, hold PEs in several states, and manage an engineering firm.

(Of course, I did two years as an M.E. major, and graduated with a E.E. minor. Diversity in your curriculum will serve you well.)

George G. Robertson, P.E.
Manager of Engineering
Saulsbury E & C
grobertson@ si-tx.com
(915) 366-4252