Concept compatible with Modicon 984-131?

P

Paul Kraemer

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if I can use Concept 2.2M to program a Modicon 984-131 PLC? If not, would upgrading to a newer version of Concept help? If not, can anyone tell me what software I should buy to do this.

This is for a one time upgrade that I'm doing. It is a very small, simple program, so I am more concerned with low cost and basic functionality rather than something with tons of features that takes a long time to learn.

Thanks,
Paul

F

Fernando Capelari

You should use the programming software package Proworx32 Lite to program a Modicon Compact 984-131 PLC.

Concept does not program that processor. For this PLC family Concept only program the CPU models 258, 265, 275 and 285.
You will remain using Ladder Logic 984 as your programming language.

Paul,
The Modicon Compact 984-131 cannot be programmed with any version of Concept Software. You have 2 choices.

1. You can upgrade the processor to a PCE-984-258, which is supported by Concept.
2. Or you can use ProWORX NxT Lite to program the 984-131.

Eric

Paul,
Unfortunately Concept does not support the lower end Compact PLC's. You can use Proworx NxT or may even still be able to purchase Modsoft to program the low end Compacts. To reduce your costs you can order the Lite version of these software packages to develop the application.

B

Bradley Hite

Hello Paul,

> Can anyone tell me if I can use Concept 2.2M to program a
> Modicon 984-131 PLC?

No you cannot. Concept can only be used with the newest 386 based Compact controllers, Quantum Controllers and Momentum controllers. The 984-131 is not a new controller by any means.

> If not, would upgrading to a newer
> version of Concept help?

No.

> If not, can anyone tell me what
> software I should buy to do this.

If all you are planning to do is transfer the program from the 984-131 controller to a newer more modern 984 Compact controller then I
recommend that you download the Demo version of ProWorx NxT from Modicon's web site
(http://www.modicon.com/registration.nsf/fa_requestinfo?OpenForm&Proworx). With the Demo version you can then upload the program out of the
984-131 controller, change the controller type, and then download the program into your new controller. The only limitation you will run into
with the Demo package is that you cannot view any logic networks past network 25. However, the Demo software has full upload download capability.

If you have questions please feel free to email me.

Bradley G. Hite
Intertech Inc
mailto:[email protected]
Teaching Practical Skills for a Technological World

Go find a copy of Modsoft for download somewhere on the Internet. It's DOS based, but it will work for the old PLCs. Your only other bets are ProWORX 32 from Modicon (which sucks) and PLC Workshop for Modicon (from www.fast-soft.com).

For what you'd pay for the software, you'd be better off buying a complete new PLC, like a Compact or Momentum, that you could program with the Concept 2.2 you have.

Or go to a new vendor altogether, like Mitsubishi and get the PLC and software for less than the PLC from Modicon.

K

Kenneth Schunk

No, you can't use Concept with a 131 CPU - the minimum CPU in the Compact line for Concept is the 258. You've got a couple of options:

1 - If the project is REALLY small, ProWorx NXT will work in Demo mode. You can do full configuration, saves, printing etc, but are limited to 25 networks of logic. You should be able to get a demo copy from your distributor, but you can download it from the Modicon web site. It's not easy to find, but search for Proworx and then select the trial software from the list.

2 - If it's bigger than that, you could use the LITE version of ProWorx. This will do Compacts (but not Quantums). Part number 372SPU61001NLDV, it costs a little under $1000.

3 - Or, you could use ProWorx-32 Lite, which also does Compacts. It's version 1.0 - enough said. Part number 372SPU71001PLDV, it's right about $1000.

4 - You could replace the 131 CPU with a 258 CPU. This would let you use Concept M, and use either 984 ladder or IEC (the 131 can only do 984). The CPU has a list price of about $1000, but the discounts on hardware are better than those on software, so it would probably be cheaper than either ProWorx or ProWorx32.

Kenneth Schunk