Conductor VMS 4.0 hardware upgrade options

B

Baileyguy

My Bailey OIS42 consoles have been operating extremely well over the past 11 years. I have upgraded the Bailey software from OIS42 G3.0 to CVMS 4.0 prior to Y2K but still using the old VAX hardware, DEC3000. A few units of my VAX machines gave way over recently and I want to keep using the VMS OS for my Bailey consoles. I do not want to move on to WinXP Pro (PPB) console unless I really have no other options.

My questions regarding the hardware upgrade are as below:

1) Can the Bailey CVMS 4.0 application run on DMCC and DS10?

2) Will it work by just replacing the VAX machine or are there other parts/software that needs to be replaced.

3) Are there any upgrade kits out there (with installation guide) in the market?

4) Where can I get the DMCC and DS10 VAX Alpha Servers with the exact specification as OIS44 and OIS45?

Also need to know what options I have with the PCL/Postscript LEXMARK Deskjet printer for OIS42 (on DECserver Serial Port). The solution to print via the DEC Printer Server is not very efficient. It takes about 15 minutes to do a screen dump. I have seen a HP Deskjet connected diretly to the DECNET as a node itself in a site with OIS44 consoles. It prints OIS screen shots almost instantly.

Will this configuration work for OIS42 as well? If not, what other screen copy options do I have for OIS42 consoles?

Are there any direct replacements for the LEXMARK printer?

S

Stanley F. Quayle

I'm not personally familiar with the Bailey devices, but the VAX can be replaced with CHARON-VAX. There's also a DMCC replacement for Alpha, called CHARON-AXP.

Thank you for the information. I am using VMS OS V7.1-1H2, 2 X 1.05Gbyte (RZ26) HDD and 128MByte RAM.

Would the Charon-VAX have the specification that I need?