Connecting Mitsubishi PLC to stepper

M

M. Richards

I am interested in connecting this to a stepper motor. PLC is configured to output 240VAC or 24VAC. The stepper motor (Sanyo Step Syn - unipolar) requires a 4.5VDC input, coils rated at 1.5A. I already have a driver. How to do this?

I

IP M USMAN LATIF

Mitsubishi Model F1-12MR-ES has relay outputs. If you are not using it for 240 VAC or 24 VDC supply for any other application then you can use its potential free contact for 4.5 VDC. But it will be recommended that either Use solid state relays for decoupling (if you are doing experiments) But in this case you will not be able to generate clock pulses from PLC or Use newer model FX Series which have special modules for stepper motor (if it is a new application) Mit freundlichem Gruss / kind regards, Muhammad Usman Latif System Consultant - IT Plant Solutions (I&S IT PS) Industrial Projects & Technical Services (ATD) SIEMENS Pakistan Engineering Co. Ltd. 64 C-III, Gulberg III, Lahore Pakistan +92-(0)42-587 1010-16 Ext. 216 Voice +92-(0)42-571 7798 Fax +92-(0)300-944 9938 Cell Email: <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

I also recommend replacing the PLC with one of the newer Mitsubishi "Brick" PLCs that includes the stepper motor output functions. You should be able to easily convert the existing program.

M
My response to your questions are indicated by ">>" You (Muhammad Usman Latif) said > Mitsubishi Model F1-12MR-ES has relay outputs. If you are not using it for 240 VAC or 24 VDC supply for any other application then you can use its potential free contact for 4.5 VDC. >> I am using the 240VAC and 24VAC for other applications. I have one 24VAC relay output available. << You said > But it will be recommended that either > Use solid state relays for decoupling (if you are doing experiments) But in this case you will not be able to generate clock pulses from PLC or >> I am doing experiments. I have built a driver board using a 555 timer to generate clock pulses. Could the PLC just be made to turn the motor on and off as reqired? You said > Use newer model FX Series which have special modules for stepper motor (if it is a new application) >> This is the model that I have to work with.Can you suggest the best thing to do in this situation? Is it feasible?

J

Johan Bengtsson P&L Automatik AB

Does this mean that you are not actually interested in controlling the exact position of the stepper from the PLC? If this is the case it should be fairly simple, change pin 4 of the 555 to low and the timer stops generating pulses /Johan Bengtsson ---------------------------------------- P&L, Innovation in training Box 252, S-281 23 H{ssleholm SWEDEN Tel: +46 451 49 460, Fax: +46 451 89 833 E-mail: [email protected] Internet: http://www.pol.se/ ----------------------------------------

I

IP M USMAN LATIF

Attn: Mr. Richards, 1- If you have only one output of 24VAC available and also you have a driver for stepper motor, simply use the decoupling relay for required voltage level. Which will be attached to the forward/reverse/off input of the driver but for this you need at least two outputs. If you have any arrangement in driver (you have) for single input for start/stop signal, you can do the job with even one output. 2- In case you go with newer version of Mitsubishi PLC or else for stepper motor application, it depends on your budget. Approximately this will not cost you not more then 500$. Mit freundlichem Gruss / kind regards ____________________________________________________________________________ _ Muhammad Usman Latif System Integrator - IT Plant Solutions (I&S IT PS) Industrial Projects & Technical Services (ATD) SIEMENS Pakistan Enginerring Co. Ltd. 64 C-III, Gulberg III, Lahore Pakistan +92-(0)42-587 1010-16 Ext. 216 Voice +92-(0)42-571 7798 Fax +92-(0)300-944 9938 Cell Email: [email protected]

I want a block diagram between PLC to stepper motor including interface cct.some explanation. I hope you can help to get this.

I

IP.MUHAMAD USMAN LATIF

> I want a block diagram between PLC to stepper motor including interface cct.some explanation. I hope you can help to get this. >

sir, i suggest u should buy one fx-2n 1pg module for the control of stepper motor. it's really a powerfull & versatile device. In case u need more details please feel free