Connecting to a TriStar TS-60 through an MGate Device with C Sharp

M

Mike Shanafelt

Hello,

total MODBUS newbie here, but am trying to learn more. I am working on a solar installation in which I have 3 MorningStar TS-60 controllers. They are labeled solar control, load control, and diversion control. Coming from each to the TriStar devices is a serial cable that is plugged into an MGate device, which I'm assuming is a serial-to-ethernet conversion box. I have the IP number of the MGate device and am able to connect to it over the network.

I would like to write a small C# application that occasionally polls the TriStar devices for various info (Load Current, Battery Voltage, etc...).

I downloaded the WSMBT Modbus master tcp/ip .net component from http://www.modbustools.com/modbus_wsmbt.asp, but I'm uncertain on how to connect to the TriStar devices using it. One of the parameters to build the connection requires the IP address, but, as the Tristars are connected serially, I don't have an IP address for the TriStars.

I have Morningstar's "MSView" application up and running connected to the tristars, and when I set that connection up, I entered a "control address", which I assume directs the MGate as to which tristar controller to work with. I don't see how I can set the "control address" in the WSMBT library that I installed in C#.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? Like I said, I'm new to instrumentation control and I may be approaching this incorrectly, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!