Connecting to Abb pm852-eth

Hello,

I have a control panel that uses an ABB PM852-ETH CPU, i have been trying to connect to the CPU via an Ethernet cable using Automation Builder, but haven't been able to see the CPU in automation builder. So the question is... do i need a special Cable/Adapter to be able to connect to this CPU ???.

Rgds

Marvin

I don’t think you need a special cable or adapter to connect.
Please provide more information:
-Is this a new PLC or is it already programmed?
-Do you know the IP address of the PLC?
-Is your PC Ethernet card setup with an IP address in the same subnet?
-Are you familiar with Automation Builder (Codesys) and how to connect via Ethernet?

I don’t think you need a special cable or adapter to connect.
Please provide more information:
-Is this a new PLC or is it already programmed?
-Do you know the IP address of the PLC?
-Is your PC Ethernet card setup with an IP address in the same subnet?
-Are you familiar with Automation Builder (Codesys) and how to connect via Ethernet?

Hi Gmcc,

Yes the PLC is already programmed and i do have the IP address of the CPU and i have set my PC to the same subnet as the PLC.

I am a Siemens/AB guy so to be honest i haven't worked with the ABB stuff before.

I got a control panel which uses an ABB PM852-ETH, i am trying to take a copy of the program in the CPU and save it in case something goes wrong in the future.

I am using Automation Builder, I'm unsure if i'm doing this correct but simply i am trying to Scan for the CPU using the IP-configuration tool in Automation Builder, Nothing shows up.

I am also unable to find the PM852-ETH in the list of CPUs when opening up a new project, all i can find is the PM852 (Without the ETH).

Hi Marvin,
Codesys is different to Siemens/ABB. With Siemens/ABB you can generally upload the program from the PLC, sometimes even with comments with newer PLCs. You can only upload from Codesys if someone has specifically downloaded the Source, most of the time this would not be done, only the boot project would be downloaded. You cannot go online unless you have the Source project.

Probably best to talk to supplier of the control panel, see if they will give you the source code or as a minimum the boot project on a SD card so you can restore the project if you need to changeover PLC.

582 PLC not 852? Not shown as ETH in CPU list as ETH is part of base, TB521-ETH, not onboard CPU.

Hi Gmcc,

Thanks for the info, i have some limited experience with Codesys gained from working with other controllers that uses a similar software approach. I wanna give it a try and see if the project file was uploaded to the CPU which will make a copy of a backup reality. But i'm still stuck with the problem of not being able to see the CPU, should't i be at least be able to see the CPU in the IP-Config tool ?.

The design office which built the system is out of business and i have been trying to get in touch with someone who can help providing a copy if there still is one, but so far no success. imagine what it would look like if the CPU gets damaged, this is a big system and i don't wanna even think about the process of rewriting a code like this.

Below if a picture of the CPU and the rack, note that the rack uses a redundant Ethernet connection which goes to a HMI.

20210923_102716.jpg
20220126_143716.jpg

I haven’t used the IP config tool but I think the PLC would show up there. Ping the PLC from your PC to check basic comms works between the two. If that works try File, Source Upload… from the menu to see if there is a source file.

Otherwise you might be able to upload boot project to SD card.

This is what happens when people are obsessed about not having to pay for PLC software and cheap hardware, the end user ends up with a PLC that is unserviceable and cannot be modified without the source code. Great for protection of IP but really has some drawbacks from a traditional AB/Siemens PLC.