Connection of SLC 100 to New PCs

G

G.H. Massiha

Dear customer help,

I have three good SLC 100 and 150 PLCs. They are connected to old 486 PCs and They work really good. When I connect them to newer PC such as pent. III they DOS base software tells me it can not connect to the COM Ports and does not recognize the device. I have changed the baud rate from 9600 to lower values without any success. Can you give me a hint what else I can do at this junction?

Sincerely,
G.H. Massiha

Also, make sure your login ID has administrator rights on that pc. I know someone that needed this for new pc with comm ports.

S
Windows NT and derivatives (2000, XP, etc.) want to handle the PC hardware and expect apps to ask the OS for services rather than try to write directly to the hardware. DOS programs obviously didn't do this. You will have to install an old OS (DOS, Win 9x) or install a driver that lets windows deal with these type apps. I suspect you could also install Virtual PC and run DOS in a virtual machine and the interface between Virtual PC and Windows will do the trick, but I haven't tried it yet so I can't say for sure.
--
Steve Myres, PE
Automation Solutions
(480) 813-1145