Continuous Level Measurement

G

Guy Rousseau

I'm currently in the process of evaluating some continuous level measurement units. The application is for solid powder measurement with a high level of dust during silo filling.

I would like to know your comments on the following units:

Siemens LR400
Endress+Hauser FMR250

(Size and shape of silo will vary)

Or any other suggestions you may have!

Thanks and best regards,

Guy Rousseau

R

RalphTKopeck

Hi Guy,
Maybe a peek into the Applications section here
( this website)-> question about "level measurement in a ESP hopper" posted April 1 2006 by Vikram, and the reply of April 13 2006 12:45am by anonymous would be an alternative ( if you have not already been to that area).

Level measurement for powder in a silo vs flyash in a hopper.....same principle, although the powder/silo application most likely would not involve high tempertures associated with the flyash/hopper.

Ralph

I've installed half a dozen Siemens LR400s. It's a remarkable unit, given how difficult some of the level situations were before this technology was available. What impresses me is that it works, and all of them have worked the first time, without tweaking and messing around.

It's worked OK on lime clinkers, flue dust and fly ash, and coal bunkers. A colleague has used them on cement. I'm not sure how these radar units work, but somehow they shoot through the dust.

The unit sets up with about 6 or 7 configuration instructions on its own keypad. I haven't needed to use Siemen's PDM software that communicates over HART at all.

I would advise you to get the Teflon antenna horn cover for fine dust or powders (like fly ash) to keep the horn clean. I had build up of any junk on the internal of the horn antenna cause signal problems. Cleaning it fixed it and the horn cover has prevented re-occurance.
I've found when things are dry, no problem, but moisture aid powder build-up.

I like that aiming kit that's built-in to the unit. I'd used some ultrasonics where the aiming kit was a separate item, but with a heavy radar unit it makes sense to make it all one piece.

I haven't used E&H, but I can highly recommended the Siemens unit. David

A

Alejandro Posada

Hi Guy,
In my opinion, using a radar transmitter is the best solution here.
If I were you, I'd stay away from microwave guided wire level transmitters when measuring solids, especially if there's a possibility of humidity infiltrations inside the silos. We first used that type of transmitter on a 100T urea silo. Due to humidity, the powder clogged the cable and the device ended up being destroyed by the enormous force exerted downward by the material.

We use E+H transmitters and they work fine.

You might also want to consider the Radar transmitters by ROSEMOUNT.
http://ww.rosemount.com

Alejandro

Also you can use a new sensor of vega.
It's the vegapuls 68/ it's a free microwave radar with a high gain for the reception.
More sensible for solids with low conductivity.
i am using 5 radar in a silo of soya and they work very good.
Thank's.

Maybe you would like to try the VEGAPULS68. Its got the same features as the FMR250, but its more efficient and cheeper (according to my knowledge). The VEGAPULS68 works well in our silo's and is VERY reliable.

Regards,
Wendy