Continuous turning gear

Dear team members,

Would it be good practice if GT unit is placed on continuous turning gear to avoid any startup issue while on standby?

As of now, we are keeping machine on turning gear once in day for 2-3 hours during standby.

Best Regards,

G.Rajesh
I&C Engineer

G.Rajesh,

Running a unit continuously uses a lot of power for the auxiliaries. Some units, like Frame 7E/EAs have a condition known as "bucket rock" that results in damage to the bucket "pine trees" when left on cooldown for long periods of time. Best to consult with the OEM/packager about your specific unit and long term cool-down conditions.

You didn't say which unit(s) you are worried about--the 6Bs or the 9Es.

I'm not a mechanical expert, but I have heard of excessive bucket dovetail wear on some units that were left on turning gear for excessive time. I'd check with the OEM for specific recommendations based on your wheel and bucket configuration, and other potential issues.

Thank you CSA & Anon for the feedbacks.

We are discussing about 9E machine.

We think the answer may applicable for 6B continuous ratchet operation too.

Take care
G.Rajesh

G.Rajesh,

If the 9Es use "slowroll" or a motor-driven continuous turning gear then the dovetail ("pine-tree") wear may be a concern that wouldn't be present with hydraulic ratchet operation used with the 6Bs.

Most sites I have had the pleasure of working at would like to keep the units on cooldown continuously--until the bean counters realize how much the power costs for the auxiliaries required to do so.

And then there's the possibility of increased maintenance costs for dovetail wear and auxiliary operation (pump wear and maintenance; electric motor wear and maintenance; mist eliminator wear and maintenance; etc.).

Let us know what is decided at your site--and why!

Thank you CSA for you valuable feedback as usual.

We'll discuss with our team and let you know the outcome.

Take care
G.Rajesh