Control Logix Serial Issues

C

Colin Carpenter

Hi all,

I'm just programming my first Control Logix PLC and I could do with a little advice, please.

The CPU communicates through its RS232 port with RS Logix 5000 without a problem. However, I need to attach an HMI screen to this port (a ProFace GP2500 screen, in fact).

The problem is that RS Logix uses RS Linx to communicate using the DF1 protocol, set as DF1 point to point (with 19200, 8,1,none) serial, and the screen seems to need DF1 Slave mode using 19200,8,1,even serial settings.

I can change the controller serial options in RSLogix OK, but as soon as I do, RSLogix loses comms with the CPU, then nothing much seems to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Colin Carpenter (UK)

G

Gavin MacLean

Once you have changed the DF-1 setting in the controller and download it, it goes off-line. Goto to RSLinx Communications\configure drivers
and select the DF-1 driver and hit the configure button and change this to the same settings.

Gavin MacLean
Systems Engineer
Applicon Australia Pty Ltd [email protected]
Phone: +61 8 9353 6789
Fax: +61 8 9353 6790
www.applicon.com.au

I'm sure I've tried that. Does the RSLinx DF-1 driver actually communicate with a Controller that is set to DF1 Slave mode? I've managed to change serial port settings and then communicate again, but never managed to get RSLinx to
communicate when the controller is set to DF1 Slave mode. (normally it would be point to point mode)

Thanks

Hi Mark,

> have you changed the settings to suit in RS Linx, you will need to set RS Linx up to suit your new settings.<

Well, I think so, but the problem is that none of them seem to work. For example, do I use the DF1 driver in RS Linx or the DF1 Polling Master? I've tried both, but can't find a reference anywhere to setting up the Polling Master driver when using RSLogix.

I assume that when the controller is set to DF1 slave, then it talks to a polling master (ie the HMI screen), but trouble is that I can't
get it to communicate back to RSLogix again..... without powering down the CPU and pulling the battery plug, losing the programme and going back to default comms settings. Not the best way to commission a plant in my experience.

I know there's ways round this.... for example I can buy a rack based card that gives me a couple of 232 ports and a 422 port, all
connecting to the one port on the controller. Trouble is that the price of this card is £1,440 (that's one thousand, four hundred and forty
pounds, honest) for a couple of RS232 ports. Seems a little excessive to me as both ports will only be used during commissioning, after
which, the HMI can have sole use of the DF1 port. Just the fact that this card exists tells me that I could well be onto a loser here :-(

Any settings that you have succesfully used would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

Gentlemen,

You need to use the DF1 Polling Master driver to communicate to the PLC set for DF1 Half Duplex Slave protocol. You cannot use the DF1 Point to Point Driver. The way to setup the Polling Master driver is to set up Slave Station addresses in polling lists and then setup the Baud rate etc.,to match the settings in the PLC. This will enable you to work with both RSLogix5000 and the Pro-Face Display alternatively. By the way, Does not the display support Point-to-Point DF1 protocol? If it does, that should solve your problem also.

Since my last post, I think I've cracked it!!

Not sure how, but the controller is now in slave mode and RSLinx is talking to it. Even the HMI is now talking, albeit with an error of some sort, but the RS232 light is flashing.

Thanks

> You need to use the DF1 Polling Master driver to communicate to the PLC set for DF1 Half Duplex Slave protocol. You cannot use the DF1 Point to Point Driver. The way to setup the Polling Master driver is to set up Slave Station addresses in polling lists and then setup the Baud rate etc., to match the settings in the PLC. This will enable you to work with both RSLogix5000 and the Pro-Face Display alternatively.<

I managed to get it to work with the normal DF1 driver .... the key thing is to set it to half duplex operation.

> By the way, Does not the display support Point-to-Point DF1 protocol? If it does, that should solve your problem also.<

I agree ... I have E-Mailed that query to Pro Face Japan, but have yet to receive and answer.

Thanks,
Colin