Control Panel Wire Colors

J

jeff

I'm looking for information on wire color codes for control panels. Normally I use wire colors as an "additional" identifier for functions.

Are there any rules (codes) which apply to using various wire colors in a panel. Normally DC in the US is Blue with White/blue stripe, Europe is Brown and Blue if I'm not mistaken.

I believe the color coding scheme has to be posted inside the control panel and listed in the machine documentation.

I perfer to use different colors for the 3 dc power supplies, 24 VAC, along with differnt color wires for Digital Inputs and Outputs on the controller.

In my situation I will have 480 3ph (black wires)
coming into a panel through a disconnect. From the disconnect I will have two transformers. One is 480 to 120 vac (Red/White)the other is 480 to 24 vac (Wire Color ?).

The 120 vac from the first transformer is going to a UPS (output Yellow or Orange ungrounded with grounded White/Yellow or Orange stripe) that will supply power to the DC power supplies for all controls in the panel. One 24 vdc power supply powers the internal controller along with SSR, Hi Limit Controls etc. The second 24 vdc power supply powers all noisy devices, ie. relays or any inductive device. The third dc power supply (12 vdc) is for sensor power (pressure sensor, leak detectors etc).

The 24 vac from the second transformer will power low voltage station lighting.

Any help would be appreciated.

B

Bob Peterson

NFPA79 covers this pretty well. You should get a copy of it. For stuff sold in the US its pretty much the bible for general machine controls.

Bob Peterson