control system upgrade problems

A

arf

I want to know what types of problems arrive when retrofitting, upgrading a turbine control system. what are the usual problems that occur before, during and after upgrading a control system?

The biggest problem is incomplete or inaccurate documentation of existing cabling and control configurations. Prints and drawings must be correct, since the new system will be designed based on them. Allow plenty of time to verify all related reference material before the job starts.

Also, develop a detailed checkout procedure to use at the factory acceptance test & verify ALL I/O and control functions after the install.

- JF

I am very surprised that in two days no one else has responded yet.

Where to begin.

Are you converting from analog to digital control? How old is the facility? Are the sensors easily refitted into the new control system? Are there enough sensors? Is the integrator intimately familar with your turbine? Are you intimately familar with your turbine? Are there hazardous locations (Class 1, Div 1 or otherwise) to deal with? How experienced are the operators? How much time do you have to complete the changeover? etc., etc.

As you see, the list can be extensive.

Please reply via Control.com with your e-mail address if you wish to converse offline.

A

Abdulrahman Farooqui

Yes, we have GE gas turbine Mark II control system, we are going to upgrade to Mark VI control system. There are about 13 units to be upgraded. There are about 155 transmitters, 48 Thermpocouples to be installed. To be
completed within 1.5 years for all units.

With Kind Regards,
Farooqi

Have you ever considered open systems?

The advantage introduced by the Advance PLC to the turbomachinery controls are outstanding!

Upgrading with an open architecture advanced PLC-based control system can eliminate costly problems associated with old control systems.

Some of the major benefits of open architecture control system upgrades are:
-Nearly 100% start-up reliability.
-Decreased risk of loss of turbine availability from control system failure and lack of spare parts.
-Improved control strategies and stability, especially for compressor drive systems.
-Ability to operate the turbomachinery and gather data from a remote location.
-Standardization with existing installed hardware based, maximizing returns on invested capital in existing equipment, spare parts, and training.
-Overall reduced maintenance and troubleshooting costs; the owner’s technicians can easily service
and maintain the system.
-Substantially lower cost overall than new proprietary control systems, which also are limited in expansion/upgrade capability and difficult for the owner to service.
-Availability of operating information and trending for analysis and predictive maintenance.

Some of the features of open architecture systems from which these benefits are derived are:
-A system based on non-proprietary, standard industrial components available from many vendors;the owner may select hardware types that are already common to the plant.
-The core of the system is an advanced PLC hardware platform which is rugged, proven, and low-cost;(For intance, Petrotech has developed control software for most major brands of PLC hardware.)
-Very flexible I/O and control function capability that can easily be expanded to add new control and communication functions at a very low incremental cost, thus a long life before obsolescence.
-An easy to use and modify graphic operator interface can display system status, trending, and data logging using popular “off-the-shelf” software packages.
-Simple integration into plant-wide information/communication systems.
-Simple technician training, from both the PLC manufacturer and Petrotech.
-Multiple sources for spare parts.

Among others...

Please contact me for further information at:

[email protected]

Thanks.

F

Fernando Robleno

Farooqi,

Can you please let me know if you are still having trouble with upgrades. I have some contacts with both some ex-OEM and GE engineers that may be able to answer your questions. Please let me an email at [email protected] and we will be happy to see if we can assist you.