Control Valves

Hello Everyone,

I am an Electrical Engineer by profession and have switched to Instrumentation and Controls for last few years. Overall i feel i am doing relatively well but in terms of Control Valves i am struggling a lot. For the most part i am relying on vendors for sizing and other things. I feel my understanding of the control valves is not to such an extent where i can challenge/question the vendor with the valve selection/sizing. Some of my coworkers are exceptionally well and it have lot of detailed understanding. My coworkers do help but again i don't want to rely on them all the time.
With that said i would like to learn the control valves and their sizing/application in detail. In otherwords looking for a resources like "control valve sizing for dummies" or "step by step sizing for control valves". Any suggestions/help would be highly appreciated. Any online training modules that can be helpful, please advise.

Thank You

The first step in sizing a control valve is to thouroughly understand the maximum flow rate required through the valve, the maximum pressure drop allowed across the valve, and the actual fluid viscosity.

the second step is to use these parameters to calculate what is known as the Valve Cv factor.Most control valve manufacturers will include equations showing how to calculate Cv factor in their technical data. You have to be a little careful here to make sure that all your data is in the units that the Cv equation is expecting.

The third step is use the calculated Cv Factor to size the valve. The Cv factor determines the orifice size of the control valve. Each valve manufacture lists the Cv factor for each of their valves.

The final step is to determine all other parameters necessary to specify the valve. This includes required valve action (proportional control, quick opening, on/off, etc.), valve body and valve trim materials, type of actuator, end fittings, etc.

Based on the above information, you should be able to specify a control valve for any application. If you need help with a specific application, let me know and I will be happy to walk you through it.

Ken.Abramson.nfac&gmail.com

Hello Everyone,

I am an Electrical Engineer by profession and have switched to Instrumentation and Controls for last few years. Overall i feel i am doing relatively well but in terms of Control Valves i am struggling a lot. For the most part i am relying on vendors for sizing and other things. I feel my understanding of the control valves is not to such an extent where i can challenge/question the vendor with the valve selection/sizing. Some of my coworkers are exceptionally well and it have lot of detailed understanding. My coworkers do help but again i don't want to rely on them all the time.
With that said i would like to learn the control valves and their sizing/application in detail. In otherwords looking for a resources like "control valve sizing for dummies" or "step by step sizing for control valves". Any suggestions/help would be highly appreciated. Any online training modules that can be helpful, please advise.

Thank You
While I have been retired from the business since late 2009, I have 2 recommendations:
1. My "bible" for sizing control valves was "Control Valve Handbook" by Fisher Controls. Find a copy.
2. Avoid setting foot in any facility where the control valves were sized by dummies.

While I have been retired from the business since late 2009, I have 2 recommendations:
1. My "bible" for sizing control valves was "Control Valve Handbook" by Fisher Controls. Find a copy.
2. Avoid setting foot in any facility where the control valves were sized by dummies.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

The first step in sizing a control valve is to thouroughly understand the maximum flow rate required through the valve, the maximum pressure drop allowed across the valve, and the actual fluid viscosity.

the second step is to use these parameters to calculate what is known as the Valve Cv factor.Most control valve manufacturers will include equations showing how to calculate Cv factor in their technical data. You have to be a little careful here to make sure that all your data is in the units that the Cv equation is expecting.

The third step is use the calculated Cv Factor to size the valve. The Cv factor determines the orifice size of the control valve. Each valve manufacture lists the Cv factor for each of their valves.

The final step is to determine all other parameters necessary to specify the valve. This includes required valve action (proportional control, quick opening, on/off, etc.), valve body and valve trim materials, type of actuator, end fittings, etc.

Based on the above information, you should be able to specify a control valve for any application. If you need help with a specific application, let me know and I will be happy to walk you through it.

Ken.Abramson.nfac&gmail.com

Thanks for your detailed response. Yes i would like to discuss a specific application with you. please let me know what is the best means to discuss that with you.