Controller "C" freezing

S

Sachin

"C" Controller of MARK IV freezes after giving GTG start command. We Changed HMPF card but still problem not solved

And my watch stops very shorty after I set the time.

I didn't tell you if my watch is an analog watch with a manually wound drive system, a self-winding watch, or a battery-operated watch. I didn't tell you if I just took the watch out of a nightstand drawer and put it on, or how old the watch is, the last time I wore or wound the watch, or the last time the battery was replaced. You don't know if the watch is new out of the box, or is a quarter century old.

How will you help me?

You will either spend a great deal of time trying to provide information based on all the possible types of watches and circumstances you can think of, or you will start by asking a series of questions until you get some useful information.

You haven't told us very much at all.

a) You haven't told us anything about the turbine, the starting means (electric motor, diesel engine, expander turbine, etc.), or the power supply.

b) Does the unit have a DC Hydraulic Ratchet Pump? If so, when was the last time you checked or replaced the brushes in the motor?

c) If the unit has a diesel engine starting means, when was the last time you checked or changed the brushes on the starting motor (they are usually 125 VDC starter motors)?

d) We don't know what you mean by "freezing". Do you mean the data on the display all stops updating and the printer stops working, or does the display go blank and the printer stops working?

e) What do you have to do to try to re-start the unit? Do you have to move the <C> power supply switch to the OFF position, wait a few seconds, and then move the switch to the ON position?

f) PRECISELY when, after selecting START and pushing EXECUTE, does <C> "freeze"? At what point in the starting sequence? Immediately after pressing EXECUTE? Or how many seconds after pressing EXECUTE? Is it after the unit begins to accelerate? If so, at what speed does <C> "freeze"?

g) Does the DC Emer. L.O. Pump Motor cycle when you initiate a START?

h) Does this happen if you initiate a start with the unit on Cooldown (Ratchet, turning gear, slowroll), or only when the unit is being started with all auxiliaries (Aux. L.O. Pump, etc.) off?

j) If the printer doesn't stop working, what alarms are logged to the printer?

k) Are there any Diagnostic Alarms active prior to attempting to start the unit?

l) What Process Alarms are active prior to the START?

m) Is there a battery ground alarm? What are the incoming DC power supply voltages with respect to ground, both positive and negative polarities?

n) Have you monitored the DC power supply when you push START-EXECUTE? What does the voltage do?

p) The Mark IV has all kinds of off-line diagnostics. Have you tried running any of them? (See the Mark IV Maintenance Manual; some of them require the Test Card and cables from the Mark IV Start-up Kit.)

q) What prompted you to try replacing the HMPF card?

r) When did this begin? After some maintenance outage?

And now you're going to say to yourself or yourselves, "Wow! Why do they want that much information? How are we supposed to supply all that information? We already tried this or that or we don't think that's important or we've already ruled out this or that!" How would we know what you've done or haven't done, other than replace the HMPF card? (And we don't why you chose to do that.)

And, you're likely to say, "That was a waste of our time! We didn't get any useful information from that experience, and all they wanted was more information!"

The quality of the response you receive to any question, not just ones you post to control.com, will be proportional to the amount of information you provide. If you want a quick and concise response, you need to provide as much information about the circumstances as possible (see above). If you get a bad response, look at the quality of the information you provided.

If you are able to solve the problem by any of the above questions (there are some concrete suggestions there!), please write back to let us know what the problem was and what you did to resolve the problem. More than a few minutes were spent preparing the above list, and more than a few people can benefit from your experience.

To quote a colleague here on control.com in this recent post (http://www.control.com/thread/1236793510#1237205336): "The information you have provided is grossly inadequate to give any useful suggestion." (Good one, Radhakrishnan!)