controllogix

K

Kenneth R. Wilkes

I am wondering if anyone has had success with this platform controlling 8
separate high speed position moves at 500 times per min. We are having
trouble maintaining registration control on a high speed packaging machine.
We had success with SLK 500 and 1394 GMC Turbo digital motion controllers.
Thanks Ken Wilkes

If you want precise positioning control on AB, I suggest you stay with their GMC controller. As we test on Controllogix 5550 with servo module MO2AE (only provide 2 axes capability) not really satisfied the performance. For 8 axes control, the loop feedback speed need to put into consideration. For registration motion control, most of motion vendors all have successful experience on multiple axes control. Unfortunately, as I know, AB is not good at motion at all. (they have tried very hard to improve on MO8SE servo module and Controllogix functionalities recently, better check with AB for updating)

A

Alex Ruderman

Did you hear about digital motion controllers from Mega_F (www.mega-f.co.il) ?

These new market players deliver motion controllers that feature:
- small - credit card - PCB size;
- 32 axes control performance equal to that of 8 axes control of competition;
- interface to any kind of servo (power) amplifier.

You can discuss your application with their Engineering Manager Max Sakhartov directly - [email protected] .

-Alex
[email protected]

J

John Meachum

We are measuring scan rates on multi-axis high speed applications from 30 to 100 ms. Anything above 2-4 axis is a problem. As you task it - performance declines. We have yet to find a vendor to outperform the Indramat solution.

D

Davis Gentry

Our default update rate at up to 32 axes of coordinated control is 442 microseconds. That update rate can get significantly higher for less complex
systems. I know of at least one Controllogix system which was replaced by our controller after six months of trying to make it work - it had been sold into an
application for which it was severely over tasked. A six axis pick and place machine.

Davis Gentry
Applications Engineer
Delta Tau Data Systems

W

Wan Chon Kong

Try Beckhoff Lightbus motion control product running on TwinCAT.
We have just completed a machine with 3 seperate high speed position
at 900 times per min (using Camming action) less than 2ms. www.beckhoff.com
They have an office in Minneapolis.