converting the controller to a microcontroller based system

C

Chris Megahey

Currently we are controlling a vaporizor using an off the shelf PLC and a hodge-podge of Din Rail components. We are interested in converting the controller to a microcontroller based system with PCB components. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should start. The PLC is simple to me, but I have no idea where to go with a microcontroller.

Chris,
You may have another alternative than simply going to a microcontroller that you will have to design. There is a style of product that we call embedded programmable logic controllers. They are basically the PLC without the box.

I cannot speak for the other manufacturers that we compete against, but for the company I work for, we offer off the shelf, custom configurations or we can modify I/O based on a customer's requirements or needs.

Here is a link to our web site that will give you additional information, comparing your options. http://www.entertron.com/info.htm

This link will summarize what is typically required when considering a custom controller.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
Stephen Luft - President
Entertron Industries
3857 Orangeport Rd.
Gasport, NY 14067
Tel: 716-772-7216
Fax: 716-772-2604
web: www.entertron.com

Take my advice and stick with the PLC. If you switch to the micro-controller you will end up with a cute circuit board and a maintenance nightmare for the next guy or outside contractor after your gone. And if it becomes a problem to service what do you think they will replace the micro-controller with?

R

Robert Scott

It sounds like the PLC is less of a problem than the "hodge-podge" of Din Rail components. You may need to have a custom circuit board designed. Phoenix Contact makes a wide range of enclosures that snap onto a Din Rail and contain a custom circuit board of your design. See the "Combicon" series. For a microcontroller, I recommend a PIC by Microchip. But the specific model will depend on your specific control requirements. If you need more help on this contact me privately.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Embedded Systems Consulting

S

Steven Landau

You should contact Altersys. They have a PLC programming language with many microcontroller targets. They probably can send you in the right direction.
--
Steven Landau
Winchester, MA
[email protected]